Hotels - Phnom Pehn

unit731

Yes, you overpaid if for a standard room. Standard room should be about 850 baht or $25. It IS "high season" now even in Phnom Penh, but I think you should get back to them. Check their website and I think you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure that they will have a hotel taxi at the airport to pick you up (if you're coming in by plane). And try to negotiate the added charge for use of the pool. I think it is 2 or 3 bucks/day that you use it. And don't pay any attention to any poster in the elevator advising that the hotel does not allow "prostitution". The guy at the desk asked me more than once "you want a lady?" LOL ! (And he CAN deliver.)

HH

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW...it's spelled Phnom Penh.

Paris Hotel: 229-231 St Kampuchea Krom. About 1.5km west of the central market. tel 023880361

e-mail: paris_hotel@hotmail.com. Note: there are 2 Paris hotels...you want the one listed above. Distant from action sites; the motodops that work there are okay and reliable. They will do and airport pickups, if needed.

Other options:

Top End Accommodation

Le Royale /Raffles

If budget is no issue, there is no finer hotel in Cambodia than Le Royale. Part of the Raffles Group, it is a fine hotel indeed. Rooms run from $200 to over $1000. www.phnompenh.raffles.com

The Cambodiana

On the banks of the Tonle Sap River, this Hotel is a bit ugly but it is modern and caters to all needs. www.hotelcambodiana.com

The Himawari

Next to the Cambodiana, the Himawari is a very nice hotel and has an awesome pool area with views over the Tonle Sap River and health club with steam room etc. www.himawarihotel.com

Foreign Correspondents Club

An institution in Phnom Penh, it only has two rooms but they are very nice and run at around $80. www.fcccambodia.com

Mid Range Accommodation

Embassy Place Apartments

Cambodia's favourite serviced apartments complex, located in the heart of Phnom Penh

www.expat-advisory.com/embassy-place

The Goldiana

Located 2 Km away from the Phnom Penh central business district, 1 Km away from the Independence Monument and 2 Km from the Royal Palace and the National Museum. Rooms run from $48 to $100.

www.goldiana.com

Budget Accommodation

DaraReangSay Hotel

Run by two sisters, a room will cost about $20 and that will get you two double beds and aircon. Stay for 3 nights or more and they will send a driver to the airport free of charge. Good little restaurant. www.darareangsey.com

California 2 Guesthouse

Hang out with the dirt and road bikers, watch the world go by on the riverfront and drink cheap and cold Lao Beer at .75c. Not a bad option at all and rooms with a river view run about $20-25.

www.cafecaliforniaphnompenh.com

The Tonle Sap Guest House

Part of the Pickled Parrot, an Aussie run pub. All rooms have wi-fi internet and they start at about $20. www.tonlesapguesthouse.com

OR...you can stay by Boeung Kak Lake for maybe as little as $2-3/nite in a dumpy G/H, inhabited with worthless and clueless backpackers. Best to have your hair in dreadlocks, have tattoos, wear beads, handkerchief around your neck, short pants with plenty of pockets and a copy of LP...

...so you can fit in :evil:

Budget Accommodation

DaraReangSay Hotel

Run by two sisters, a room will cost about $20 and that will get you two double beds and aircon. Stay for 3 nights or more and they will send a driver to the airport free of charge. Good little restaurant. www.darareangsey.com

Stayed there some years ago. If there didn't renovate it in the recent years I would not recommend it. I had small run down room with a dirty, moldy bathroom. Even my nightly pick up from Heart of Darkness did not like it at all.

Yes, you overpaid if for a standard room. Standard room should be about 850 baht or $25. It IS "high season" now even in Phnom Penh, but I think you should get back to them. Check their website and I think you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure that they will have a hotel taxi at the airport to pick you up (if you're coming in by plane). And try to negotiate the added charge for use of the pool. I think it is 2 or 3 bucks/day that you use it. And don't pay any attention to any poster in the elevator advising that the hotel does not allow "prostitution". The guy at the desk asked me more than once "you want a lady?" LOL ! (And he CAN deliver.)

HH

shit, I will contact them tonight and right their website quotes 25 US$ for a standard room.

Yes' date=' you overpaid if for a standard room. Standard room should be about 850 baht or $25. It IS "high season" now even in Phnom Penh, but I think you should get back to them. Check their website and I think you'll see what I mean.

[/quote']

shit, I will contact them tonight and right their website quotes 25 US$ for a standard room.

I just checked my emails with the hotel. I received the going rate of 25 US$. I just had confused the rates with the Town Lodge hotel in BKK where I booked a room for Christmas.

:xmascheer

I also stayed at Rory's Irish guest house as I arrived very late and was only staying a day before going to Siem Reap and my first 2 choices were booked.

Very cheap and very basic accommodations (rooms start out at about $10). No problems with bringing girls back although you'll have to wake up the guard to let you in after 2:00am.

Big Luck charges $42 for a very nice large room' date=' which is about 1400 Bt. Well worth it. They've got cheap ones, too.[/quote']

I booked the standard room for 1400 Bt through their website. Did I overpay?

Big Luck's web site quotes US Dollars not Baht. Maybe you booked through some kind of broker web site.

Big Luck charges $42 for a very nice large room' date=' which is about 1400 Bt. Well worth it. They've got cheap ones, too.[/quote']

I booked the standard room for 1400 Bt through their website. Did I overpay?

Big Luck's web site quotes US Dollars not Baht. Maybe you booked through some kind of broker web site.

As I explained in a previous post I just mixed the numbers of Big Luck Hotel and Town Lodge. Anyway I just upgraded my room at Big Luck Hotel to "superior single" for 42 US$ (~30 EUR :spin: ).

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived in PP yesterday and I am staying at the Big Luck Hotel - but not for long.

The superior room is very huge (w/ bathtub and a separate small kitchen) but a little bit dated. Lights next to bed don't work, aircon control isn't working properly. These are minor hassles, but at noon someone was ringing the door bell of my room and woke me up. I ignored it first, but they kept on ringing. I open the door and a women informs me in a stern voice that they have to clean the room; as I was staying in youth hostel. :banghead:

I will move to the River Star Hotel at Sisowath Quai. 25US$ for a room with view on the Mekong river. I stayed there before. It's much more cozy and it gives me much more of a holiday feeling with the restaurants and small shops around and the view on the river. In contrary Big Luck Hotel is located off any interesting place at a four-lane road.

There was/is a hotel around the corner from Capitol Guesthouse on Monvivong Blvd, and I'm not sure if it is the same one as what's now called Big Luck. Anyway, I think that one was bombed around 2001 or so. It had to shut down and later reopened with a new name.

Anyone know more about this? It's possible it's a completely different hotel. It was on the same side of Monvivong as Capitol. If you walk up the street to Monvivong, turn right and it was the first hotel as you walk south on Monvivong.

Archived