libraries?

sinsin2

Good question! Something I've wondered about myself...

While I've spent reasonable amount of time in BKK, I've never seen one..but then again that has not really been the thing I've looking out for...

I did a quick search on Google.com and this is basically what I came up with:

Libraries in Bangkok

Libraries on the Web : Asia

I'd still be happy to hear something from any of the board members though!

Straycat

I worked in China for a year. In the city where I was living, the U.S. Consulate had a small library. It had a fairly decent selection of newspapers and magazines, enough for me to keep up on affairs of the outside world. I was not allowed to take any books out (this is because technically, it was a 'resource centre', not a library - it is illegal in China to operate a library that is not run by the government of China).

Perhaps the U.S. Embassy in Thailand has a library as well?

By the way, I am not an American, but I made some efforts to get on the good side of the staff there, so was pretty much allowed to visit whenever the place was open.

JG

This from the coming week's Sticky Weekly:

For avid readers who find the prices of books a little steep, why not joib the Neilson Hays Library in Suriwiong Road? Membership cists 1,200 baht for six months and 1,900 baht for 12. Set on a fairly large floor, the books in the library are predominantly in English and they have a good secletion ranging from literary classics, to reference material to more modern works.

quote:

Originally posted by sinsin:

Are there public libaries in Thailand?

I have been to the AUA LIbrary and read magazines, etc but not sure if I would be eligible to take books out. It is a two story building, very neat and very quiet. You might have to be a student there to check books out of the library. It is near the Rachadamri BTS station and I am sure it has a website but I dont have the URL.

Thanks to whoever posted the lists of public libraries in Bangkok. Do you know if all books are in Thai????

Yo, Stick...Not the D person here, but the real NEP deal. I am aghast! Your prose are normally well-heeled, coherent and well spelled. Do I detect the faintest hint of tippling? Good for you!

Sorry, making a little funny here......I, also, am not in control of my limited faculties at the moment.

all the universities obviously have libraries, Tammasat's library is in a five floor-deep hole, Chula's in a park-like setting, anybody can go in

the national library has some interesting scientific magazines on Thailand

foreign cultural institutes usually have a library (British Council, Alliance Francaise, Goethe Institut)

Archived