Favourite English word spoken by a Thai

CTO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cavanami wrote:

"How about the, "up to you"...

When really they want to say, "no friggin' way"! "

I've had plenty of experience with the up-to-yous... Here's my take on it from an old trip report:

I was at least smart enough to call ahead to Pattaya to ask whether Gai would care if I brought little Dao down from Bangkok with me. I told Gai not to worry, Dao's not my girlfriend, sheâ??s my â??little sisterâ??. Gai sounded fine with it, said sheâ??d be happy to meet Yimâ??s friend. â??No problem,â? Gai says, and then the words that should have been a warning to me: â??Up to you. You know I never make problem, what you want to do, you do.â?Â

Advice for the very new: the first time you hear â??up to youâ?? in Thailand, itâ??s alright to assume it actually means â??up to youâ??. The second time itâ??s understandable. But after that, youâ??d better know better. What it really means is: â??This is a warning: youâ??re playing with fire!â? I should have known this by my 33rd trip to Thailand, but I missed the warning, and marched straight ahead...

(for context: trip report )

cheers,

YimSiam

... and then the words that should have been a warning to me: â??Up to you. You know I never make problem, what you want to do, you do.â?Â

Advice for the very new: What it really means is: â??This is a warning: youâ??re playing with fire!â?Â

cheers,

YimSiam

Oh YES, so true.......Up 2 U...what U want 2 do...OK..

Every time I hear those words I cringe....

It's "War" for sure.....lol...

Cheers DC

Yep, can be war - unless, of course, you choose to do the right thing, usually pretty obvious(as in the example above, where the decision was whether or not to bring another girl down from Bkk with me while visiting a Pattaya regular... duh...). But the right thing can be so boring...

Odd thing about the above incident is that the Pattaya girl was actually very cool about the whole thing, while the Bkk girl went into crazy-BG meltdown, probably because Ms. Pattaya was clearly my priority... They actually keep in touch every once in a while now, which is bizarre.

OK, back to topic: not a favourite word, but a favourite SMS from an aggrieved TG: "YimSiam. Unsympathetic."

YimSiam

Archived