Weird/frightening immigration experience

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the contrarian side, they were apparently after someone, with the same name, who had apparently kidnapped his children. In all honesty one would have to applaud their vigilance. Inconvenient for you, but sometimes larger issues do take priority.

On a similar note, my mother was hauled into the "back room" on her last trip to the USA as a suspected drug courier. Again, same (common) name on the passport. After sometime she was let go. They finally twigged that my mother, a frail elderly white woman, did not fit the profile of an of an overweight 25 year old black woman....

-j-

Not a good point at all.

In the UK, one is identified by National Insurance Number, in US Social Security Number, In Thailand by ID Card Number. For International Travel we are identified by Passport Issuing Agency / Number.

The thing about these identifying numbers is that everyone is unique, which is the requiremnt to be the primary key for a database.

There are probably 1,000's of Suadum's in USA (I wont use his real name) but each will have their own individual Social Security Number, and if they Travel also Passport Number.

This just goes to show how pathetic and Half Cocked US Immigration / Homeland Security realy is.

You could argue that the person they were looking for was travelling on a forged passport, if he was I assume it would be in a different name.

You could argue that the person they were looking for was travelling on a forged passport, if he was I assume it would be in a different name.

Actually, I think you're on to something here. You see, SD's passport shows he's 45 years old. But everybody knows he looks only 30. Probably thought he was travelling on a stolen passport. :smirk:

HH

Josh

Read what I wrote

Using "Name" is a Dumbfuck way of Doing it,you can have more than one person with the same name

Passport Number and/or Social Security Number are Unique identifiers and therefore cannot lead to misidentification.

If you cannot see that you are as dumb as the people running US homeland security and immigration.

No its not my country, it hasn't been anything to do with me or my forefaters for over 231 years now.

Hey, I am all in favour of checks to identify and apprehend child kidnappers, paedophiles and the like, what I am disagreeing with is the identification methods deployed in this case.

ie a name can be shared by 100's if not 1,000's of people whereas a Goverment Issued ID (passport, Social Security Number etc) is a unique identifier.

As Suadum mentioned in his OP, he was singled out by his name and not by his passport number, this is obvious since Immigration asked why he had changed it, and as I mentioned in my previous post you would expect that if someone on the run had changed travel documents they would use a different name.

Bottom line is, I totally agree with apprehending scum as soon as possable but I disagree with the methods being used by US Immigration to identify the alledged perprutrator, it is too vague and could also have serious implications on an innocent party who's only crime is having the same name as the fugitive they are after.

I know Suadum in real life as well as on the board and happen to know his line of work and the travelling he does. Now if the US Authorities have "Raised a Flag" against his name alone it could cause him major problems.

This is why I am implying that Homeland Security / Immigration Department of USA are acting dumb, using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut without considering how it may may affect innocent individuals in the long run.

I never meant to offend you, I apologise if I came across a bit harsh, but I do get offended by the way that goverments infringe on the civil liberties of the individual. It is probably just as bad if not worse in the UK as it is in the USA now, hence the reason I became expat nearly 20 years ago.

OK I will get off my soapbox now.

Archived