Weird/frightening immigration experience

What a weird trip, this last one to the US.

When I was checking out of BKK, it took an extraordinarily long time. There gal was pointing at the computer and conferring with her coworker seated next to her. But they were speaking so softly, I couldn't hear what was going on. After about five minutes of button pushing and conferring, I was let through with no dramas. So I put it down to two birds working together and chatting instead of doing their job.

When I arrived at New York, I get the third degree by a quite rude immi official. He is asking me if I have a criminal record, if I had any kids, if I had any issues on the Canadian border, if I knew some broad named Mary (no, yes, no, no). Quite agressively -- called me a liar and said I was involved in a kidnapping!

"How long long have you had this passport? Why did you change it?" Again, very "New York Italian" agressive.

We finally got to the point where (he would not tell me any details about my "crime") where I said "Look, *pal* (ya I push back, against my better judgment when I'm right and someone else is being an asshole), why don't you look at my entry stamps and see that there is a 99.9999% chance that I was in Asia at the time of your man's little problem. And as far as *my* kids, I'll dial them and their mother right now and you can talk to them yourself! Now let's end this or get your supervisor."

He checked what I said (obviously I was right) and asked me final questions like how tall are you and where were you born and finally stamped me in. Ya, I actually got a US entry stamp in my US passport (rare, to say the least but maybe they're doing that now for non-residents).

Leaving, I thanked him and politely said, "Hey, i know I have a very common name and obviously there is some mistake. Who can I talk to to clear it up? This is a serious issue for me because I travel for a living."

His response just pissed me off (but did not surprise me anymore considering the state of the US nowadays): "You can't. It's on there. You just need to prove each time that you are not this guy we are looking for."

WTF? Guilty until proven innocent, eh? It seems that this shit is transmitted around the world (or am I paranoid about the LoS exit) and I am sure will cause me issues in some countries (Oz and Japan for sure). I really do not know what to do.

If I were the tinfoil hat type, I'd say that this is payback for all the campaigning and protesting I've done against this administration (we US expats all know they read our emails and listen to our phone calls, cuz they've told us so). But I'm not that paranoid...yet. Likely an idiotic computer entry in the wrong spot -- I mean, there are a million "John Smiths" out there, so just pick them all and we'll get him. And the majority Yank attitude seems to be "why would anyone want to travel outside of America anyway" so that makes it worse as they don't understand the damage their mistake causes.

I'm gonna try to follow it up with the authorities at immigration and State, if possible. Maybe involve my Congress critters. Not sure what else to do, nor even how to start on the above.

Regards,

SD

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez.. Good to know they take their job seriously. Too seriously maybe?

Their aggressive and unfriendly behaviour is definitely not needed. You'd expect that from tired travellers but certainly not from them.

You had nothing to hide and kept your cool.

You couldn't have handled it better I think. :up:

Worrisome attitude by the imm. though..

Check the web and i am sure there is contact telephone number and "name" to at least begin the process of clearing your mistaken identity.

I would be pro active for sure-Um they are paid to be assholes :thumbdown:

Pain in the ass.. I travel a lot as well as I am sure you know and this could be an ongoig issue over a period of time.

Good luck.

[color:red]"I'm gonna try to follow it up with the authorities at immigration and State, if possible. Maybe involve my Congress critters. Not sure what else to do, nor even how to start on the above."[/color]

at immigration, you are talking to an asshole. So what I do is bluntly ask them "What am I getting arrested for?" That clears the problem up, after a while. As for them making the necessary change in the computer to correct the matter, that requires an act of Congress. Welcome to Freedom and Democracy. Ohh by the way, did they take your passport into the back room? You might have an enbedded RFID.

No, this all happened at the kiosk. No back room involved, tho' I was expecting it. And no issues at Customs. Just waived thru as usual.

I'm *really* more concerned that this bad info cascades thru the whole worldwide system. I can stand my ground in the US, cuz as a citizen they *have* to deal with me, but elsewhere...they'll (at best) just deny entry. If that happens, my business is bankrupt.

Cheers,

SD

Just hand over all your biometric data and get on the pre-approved fly list!!!

Unfortunately, the "trusted flyer" program is by invitation only by airlines out of selected hubs (for now, at least SJC and MSP that I know of). The invites are given to people that fly out of these hubs weekly, which likely means people with heavy domestic travel. One does not simply apply to be a trusted flyer.

Also, it sounds like SD is being targeted by immigration, not Homeland Security.

I'd call my local congressman's office, and see what they can do.

[

Also, it sounds like SD is being targeted by immigration, not Homeland Security.

I'd call my local congressman's office, and see what they can do.

Actually, Immigration and Border Protection are an agency of the Department of Homeland Security.

A call to a Congressman's office might result in some guidance to follow to straighten things out. However, a letter to the Congressman would be better...preferably to a local field office where the letter isn't as likely to get "lost". Forget email.

It is unlikely that SD is on a "do not fly" list or he wouldn't have been boarded. More likely that a person of a similar common name is in the system...unless SD is associated with people with known "issues". (Sometimes guilt by association can be the cause of being put in the computer system.)

It may be best to write a letter to the Director of Immigration and layout what happened...complete with the obnoxious, arrogant, confrontational approach used by the Immigration Inspector. Ask the director to investigate why you were targeted, and if it was a name association, ask them to note your passport number in the system so that the likelihood of continued misidentification will decrease. Request confirmation of your issue and request to know what action is being taken to alleviate future incidents. Or...maybe you should change your name to something like Suadum bin Laden?

HH

HH

Sounds like a good idea.

Just wonder how many Suadum Smith's there are in the world anyway??

Glad none of us have ever met him or had any association with him what so ever!! Just can't be too careful you know!!!

Maybe it's all the association with Fish Net stockings lately? They probably think he's a Member of the British House of Lords!!!..555555

Shades of Ren & Stimpy here!!!

Cheers DC....who has never met Suadum Smith and has no idea what he looks like

Archived