curfew in thailand !!

keith doug

quote:

Originally posted by keith doug:

I BET THIS WILL GET A BIG RESPONCE.

IN BANGKOK POST THURSDAY 21 NOV EDITION

I QUOTE " UNDER 18 WILL NOT NOW BE ALLOWED OUT AT NIGHT "

WELL.. 2am closing afganistane .air chaos whatever next ,,

If they open up again until dawn, they can even raise the curfew age to, say....19!!!!

laugh.gif" border="0

As per the press. Khun Purachai is set on this 'new social order'

Khun Thaksin is seen to be backing him.

The public though according to polls do not sseem to be as behind the idea of a curfew as in the cleaning up of the entertainment areas.

It appears to be a 50-50 split.

Khun Purachai is happy to negotiate the curfew hour if not the curfew itself. Could be 11 could be 10.

The law itself is already on the books due to a past dictatorship it just has to be cleaned up somewaht.

Children under 18 not to be allowed out after the curfew hour without parental supervision.

Now whilst i am against a curfew in any format. If it is implemented then syurely Khun Purachai will no longer have to worry over the closing times of entertainment places.

His rationale for the closing times was to protect the youth of thailand from crimes and drugs. If they are not allowed out then ........

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

quote:

Originally posted by phiketpete:

His rationale for the closing times was to protest the youth of thailand from crimes and drugs. If they are not allowed out then ........

...Thank you, Khun Purachai. I regret everything bad i said about you now... you can leave the keys to us, we'll close the clubs in the morning, you don't have to worry!

laugh.gif" border="0

Read this on the Bangkok post too. How are the youngsters going to react??I don't think I'd like too much see the government have too much power on my kids,and i'd hate to be under 18 around here.Purichai is freaky

quote:

Originally posted by luisBKK:

Read this on the Bangkok post too. How are the youngsters going to react??I don't think I'd like too much see the government have too much power on my kids,and i'd hate to be under 18 around here.Purichai is freaky

right,if parents had a hold on their kids, the gov would not have to deal with it. 18 and under kids should be at home or with their friends, but not outside, except on rare occasions. If i could wait until 25 to sanook hard, so can they. and since i had to wait, i am now even more excited to enjoy all that's life has to offer. If the goal was to curb kids and let adults be adults, i sign for it anytime. Most likely, I hope, the ministers are starting to realize their heavy-handedness is not paying dividends, politically and financially (on the contrary), and they just want to save face while seemingly enforcing something, somewhere, somewhat. Thai specialty.

quote:

Originally posted by phiketpete:

Now whilst i am against a curfew in any format. If it is implemented then syurely Khun Purachai will no longer have to worry over the closing times of entertainment places.

His rationale for the closing times was to protect the youth of thailand from crimes and drugs. If they are not allowed out then ........

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

Great point PP, but you happen to have something Khun Purachai lacks - the ability to reason logically.

From what he said earlier in the week about his new social order campaign targeting only those under 20 years old, there is no logical reason at all to close farang entertainment venues early. Yes, there are a few 'young people' working in these venues, but the paying customers (pumping baht into the economy)are perhaps 99.9% NOT 'young people.'

Logic takes a back seat to whatever other agenda this guy has. So, while you certainly came to a great conclusion based on his new curfew idea (doesn't this go back to the days of rioting college students and martial law? - yep, we certainly have those same conditions today, don't we?) I'm sure Khun P. has not been able to tie these concepts together even with the help of his, uh, think tank helpers. frown.gif" border="0

Obviously this has no direct implications for the Farang orientated entertainment business (bars employing under 18 year olds are already breaking the law) but it has implications in other sectors. There is a very large teenage workforce in Thailand...waiters, kitchenstaff, petrol stations etc and an awful lot of these work evenings and nights.

My impression is that this will have to be toned down before being acceptable.

Of course it is this is meant to be part of the anti-drug drive. It is an awful lot easier to chase kids and execute drivers of pick-ups carrying amphetamine pills than it is to tackle the problem at source ( and some may say risk upsetting Thaksins old friends up north but I couldnr possibly comment) and has ther added bonus of looking like something is being done.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Johnny Was ]

Archived