Another Bad Immigration Experience

MooNoi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first trip to Australia, via Bangkok, me and my 2 mates were all pulled in and had our bags thoroughly searched and swabbed with the drug detecting wand. I told them I'm fond of a spliff but unfortunately hadn't managed to get my hands on any in LOS. They didn't find that amusing.

A Scottish mate of mine came into Sydney and they asked him if he had a criminal record.

His answer: "I didn't realise you still needed one!" :grin:

Which I, personally, think is bloody funny.

Unfortunately, immigration didn't and made him sit in an empty room and left him alone for 2 hours then came in and told him he was free to go.

They don't like smart-arses, even if their replies *ARE* funny.

I always buy something made of wood ..declare it .. i don't want the damn thing just want to get out fast .. has worked in the past for me..

That was the idea behind declaring food items...but this last time an agent looked in my passport, and called me over for more "ramdom" questioning...random my ass, this is profiling.

Had a long chat with Moo Noi last night about knowing your rights. Immigration cannot simply carry out a search without providing you with a reason should you request it. It's just bullshit intimidation.

In the room he informs me that he will proceed with a full property search of everything in my possession. I calmly agree as I have nothing to hide, and there's nothing to be gained by arguing.

This is wear you say "Would you mind explaining to me why?"

If you have nothing to hide why worry, but at least you let them know that you are not willing to put up with the intimidation they run on.

So what are one's rights? Anyone know? I haven't had a problem myself, but would be mighty pissed off with the above examples happening to me.

Archived