Rating Bangkok Life

FAT_AUSSIE

I wouldn't want to raise my children in Bangkok, unless I could afford a secluded part with facilities and a good private school.

As for infrastructure, things to do and entertainment, Bangkok has great leisure value, sadly lacking in international modern culture though.

But then, I have lived in big cities most of my life, Bangkok can be very stressful if you're not used to it.

FA, it depends on circumstances.

I'm happy working as an employee and get a decent salary, though it's not quite what you'd shout about. The wife also works a decent job so we live a reasonably comfortable existence.

I have PR so there are few issues with immigration or work permits. Nor do I have a problem with the language.

The kids have been with private schools since kindergarten, you do get what you pay for. Both kids understand two languages. The eldest is in his (ม.4) fourth year of the English program, the curriculm is in English with proper English-speaking teachers, but it does set you back about 200k baht per year.

The sisters (+ family) stay next door so the family is close. This too is good for the kids. An added bonus is that they all hold full time jobs and at least one is a good cook.

Decent shopping centers are within easy reach, and there are many entertainment venues for kids - Safari World comes across as a well-rounded off one - where they have to walk around (exercise), observe strange animals up close, and enjoy the day.

If anything, we can just jump in the car an go to Hua Hin (or similar) for a quick weekend and expect to find decent accomodation and good food when we get there, no forward planning needed.

Life isn't as stressed-out here, plus it's affordable, so for me there's really no going back. I don't think you can use the country of origin as a benchmark anyway, there are too many variables.

My tuppence worth.

VK

Life isn't as stressed-out here, plus it's affordable, so for me there's really no going back. I don't think you can use the country of origin as a benchmark anyway, there are too many variables.

My tuppence worth.

VK

:yeahthat:

Couldn't agree with you more VK, I have been an expat for 20 years now and even though Thailand has been my home base for nearly 17 years I have only worked here for about 6 of them on and off over that time (2 years now in my latest position), always having to chase the petro dollar in the middle east when work was hard to find here.

Even though we live downtown BKK at present we intend to retire in the Suburbs in the long term future, we already have the land (thanks father in law) just waiting for development to expand to where it is located (Rangsit / Outer Ring Road).

There are certain things I miss from my home city, Live Sport, Music, Nightclubs etc hey I am from Manchester, but I don't miss the shitty weather, cost of living, taxation, nanny state goverment youth culture with its crime and violence etc so the Pro's outweigh the Con's. I do go back home 2-3 times a year to see a football game and have a night out clubbing so I do get small doses of hometown life.

What made me want to stay here forever was meeting the wife and her family, up until then I was not fussed one way or the other whether to make my life permanent here, they made me feel accepted. My parents (who are in their 70's) have been to Thailand to visit my in-laws and my in-laws have been to the UK and stayed with my parents, we know Thai's place a lot on family, but to me the fact that my family and my wifes family get on so well given the cultural and distance divide makes it so much easier for me, and keeps me in the will, the standing joke is that my Wife and I are both the Black Sheep of our respective families.

Thanks for the input guys.

Work wise I'would be scratching my head doing what I do now - but in BKK, I would be able to get by well but I'm only 33 ad retirement is important to me. Schooling is just as if not more important. It would but fun for a while but i'm doing well now, although my wife and I would love to just say fuck it and go.

We may do it for a year or two once my wife has her Aussie ppt but who knows? life takes us in all sorts of funny directions.

Cheers!

FA...

Sorry for this long-winded reply, but you really hit one of my emotional buttons. I've made some sweeping generalizations and stereotypes too. Here goes:

I've asked myself these same questions--many times.

Honestly, I haven't adapted here in BKK very well. A huge part of it is that I haven't mastered the language--yet, so I've missed out a lot on interaction with the locals. But I'm sure that's not the only thing. Deep in my heart, I "just don't like it" here.

I've finally moved near Rangsit, so I'm out of the gagging pollution and don't get lung infections every 2 months.

There's just so many things. Perhaps since I've never traveled much, I haven't been able to accept so many differences. I hate seeing all those children on motorcycles--truly makes me ill, the density (lack of personal space) of the populace, filthy dogs running in the streets, lack of the concept of privacy, no honor system ("face" just doesn't do it for me)--not that there's "honor" anywhere, but I can sure perceive vast cultural differences and have an appreciation of my historical American roots--even considering the historical bad and inevitable demise.

The Thai way of life is "mai pen rai", but I believe that "contentment is death", that it is the hatred of poverty and injustice, NOT the Buddhist "acceptance" of it that makes for social/economic progress. I know little of Buddhism vs. general culture here, so I can't say with authority which is which--but I can say for sure that I don't like the way it works out here.

It's kinda funny. As the comedian said, "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have someone like me as a member.". Any cultural/economic advantages my fellow Americans have are usually wasted anyway. The first thing Americans do when they get home from work is turn on their television sets and sit their fat asses down on the couch--when they're not shopping with their credit cards, that is. Also, ironically, because of the fierce competition in the USA, I can do comparatively better in Bkk--lifestyle wise. But if I stay much longer I won't have the option of retiring in my homeland--a point SuaDum most insightfully pointed out.

As far as education goes, since Thais teach a lot more practical "how to" stuff, I like the progress my 2yo daughter has made. I work with her one-on-one on many broad things, to keep her intellectually stimulated and growing. I'm not sure, but this balance just might be a fantastic advantage as she matures. As she gets to high school age, I'm looking into my family back home in the USA to maybe take her in so she can get a high school/uni education there. That's over 10 years from now, and the future is quite uncertain.

Why am I living here at all then? Well, my wife is Thai, a government officer with an "ok" retirement setup. And, living here is cheap, and I can do competitively better here. Also, life in the provinces is different--I haven't lived upcountry yet, but from my visits, a few rai of land brings a lot of privacy, and peacefulness.

I really don't know what I want to do. I haven't thought all the way through it yet. Sometimes it's really hard to know. Part of me thinks that if there wasn't convenient sex here, I wouldn't even consider living here (even though I rarely take advantage of it).

Also, the quiet, mountainous rural life can be lived in my home country too, it's called "Idaho", lol

For some people, "Home is where you hang your hat.". For me, "Home is where your heart is.". My heart is in the good 'ol US of A.

"Sorry for this long-winded reply, but you really hit one of my emotional buttons. I've made some sweeping generalizations and stereotypes too. Here goes:"

A very interesting take on the situation. A good read. Sounds from the heart and real honest.

I think everyone wants to go home. It all depends on where home is.

Archived