• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dfk ?? if kisses:

herpes

hepatitis B

some others

all curable

unbelievable. truly un-farking-believable.

i thought anyone with more than two brain cells (ie the ability to type and access this board) by now knew that NEITHER herpes NOR hep b are curable.

i guess i was wrong.

so once again: herpes is NOT curable and there's NO vaccine either.

hep b is NOT curable though there IS a vaccine. also, if you do get hit, it usually isn't too bad (though it can cost your live in serious cases.) hep c is NOT curable either (none of the hep "letters" are), NOR is there a vaccine.

perhaps mr bj categorizes hiv in the "some others" category, for which a cure is available as well?

if anyone ever wondered why std's are as widespread as they are, bj's post provides the ultimate answer.

Wonderlust, as I say my comments are'nt aimed at you in particular. I was trying to put what I consider the risks of unprotected oral sex into some sort of perspective. Compared to many of the other (IMHO) far riskier activities many blokes engage in. I've seen so may guys come to Thailand and become paranoid about STDs whilst at the same time seemingly oblivious to many of the other potential dangers.

Each year more people die in motorcycle accidents on Koh Samui alone than in the whole of the UK. I remember one weekend I was down there, four people died that weekend alone. I passed one spot a couple of days later where one young farang guy had died. A large patch of what looked like sun dried rasberry jam on the road where the remnants of part of his brain.

On a personal note if you follow your own guidelines regarding various risks then good on you, especially if as you say they enhance rather than inhibit your enjoyment of Thailand? For myself whilst I find sex with a condom does inhibit my personal pleasure I'm happy to use one as I consider the risks without as unacceptably high. However I personally regard the risks of unprotected sex to be lower for a bj and as I think a covered bj a pointless and unenjoyable experience I'm happy to carry on with bbbjs. And I'm certainly not alone, in all my time living in and travelly to Thailand I've only met 2 or 3 blokes who cover up for a bj.

Simie.

Guest lazyphil

i think getting ones brains mashed all over the floor is more desirable, you know final... than watching your dick turn to cauliflower, pee razorblades and go mad with syphillis!!

Lazyphil, what do you think the chances of catching syphilis from a bj are? I'd say very slim? And its also cureable untill you get into the later stages. Having your brains splattered across the road is'nt! If you asked the 23 years old lad who died dad what he thought I some how think he's have prefered his lad getting a bj with a smile on his face from some Thai tart than trying to do an impression of Barry Sheene and coming home in a coffin?

Simie.

H. Hunter Hansfield, M.D. writes:

"Oral sex is low risk in general, and it is especially rare for someone to acquire an STD orally by performing cunnilingus. To my knowledge, in 30+ years I have never seen a case of any STD acquired that way. Research clearly shows there is no measurable risk for gonorrhea or chlamydia; herpes is possible but extremely rare; syphilis is possible but even rarer, partly because syphilis today is uncommon in heterosexuals and women, including commercial sex workers (if you are in the US).

MedHelp - The STDs Forum

1) Topical antiseptics, including Listerine, have not been studied for their effectiveness in STD prevention. The best guess, based on distant past experience with other antiseptics (from the WW II era) suggests little effect. Washing after sex can't hurt, but I doubt using Listerine, alcohol, etc does not any difference beyond the minor benefit of soap and water.

2) There are no data on the per-exposure risks from oral sex for any STD other than HIV. In general, the risk is believed to be a lot higher than for HIV--except chlamydia, which infrequently infects the mouth or throat and for which transmission from mouth to genitals has never been documented."

MedHelp -- The STDs Forum

-redwood

The words of some keyboard doctor mean little unless backed up by a study, like this one:

Question:

What is the risk of HIV transmission from oral sex?

Answer: The likelihood of transmission of HIV from an infected person to an uninfected person varies significantly depending on the type of exposure or contact involved. The risk of becoming infected with HIV through unprotected (without a condom) oral sex is lower than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex. However, even a lower risk activity can become an important way people get infected if it is done often enough. The Options Project found that 7.8% (8 of 102) of recently infected men who have sex with men in San Francisco were probably infected through oral sex. Most of these men believed that the risk was minimal or non-existent.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/oralsexqa.htm

There has obviously been very little research on the risk of oral sex and other STDs. The main reason is probably because for very few people who catch an STD will oral sex be the only risk activity so it's difficult to say exactly what sex act caused the transmission. For me personal experience speaks the loudest.

Archived