Patpong taxi

whosyourdaddy

A few months ago, I brought my parents and g/f down for some shopping on silom and patpong night market. On the way back , as usual, we had a difficult time in finding a taxi who would put on the meter and usually just drove away as soon as he heard Thai coming out of my mouth.

The one taxi that we did get, told us that he wanted 20 bhat more than the meter since he had to pay 20 bhat to the cops to allow him to queue on sirowang road. Well I did not believe him and when my family was out of a dar, gave him the exact taxi meter fair and not a bhat more

Tonight I was watchin channel 9 and low and behold the taxi was not lying. Thai tv just did an undercover job on the cops charging taxis at patpong and ratchadamri area to queue up. The mentioned 20 bhat for taxis and 30 bhat other types of transport.

Opps, do I feel silly now.

WYD

We've all made mistakes like that. It is a shitty feeling. But, remember, the burden of the BS police shakedown shouldn't necessarily fall 100% on the passenger's back. Let the driver feel a little bit of the pain of his "public servants'" BS behavior, too. mad.gif" border="0

WYD,

I don't think you should feel the least bit silly or guilty about this. Not your fault that the cops are corrupt and shaking down cab drivers. If he has a problem with it, HE can take it up with the municipal government. Its his country, a democracy, and he is a citizen, not you (I presume). He and his fellow citizens elect governments that permit, or at least turn a blind eye to this kind of corruption.

JG

That is one of the reason, that I stoped negotiating with tuk-tuk-drivers and such.

(The other one is, that I am getting to old for this silly game blush.gif" border="0 )

Of course, if someone trys to overdue it (wanting 100bath for a 20bath ride etc.) I will not pay him, but just walk away. But negotiating with these friends - no way. My time in LOS is to precious for that.

crazy.gif" border="0

I'll only flag down passing taxis in this area.If they're free U can catch them at any level.

drivers screaming to attract customers to their cab or tuk tuk drive me agressive anyway

Archived