EURO 2008 won't be fun...

Man at Work

Chelsea fan,

If you see the way the Dutch play, you wouldn't be supporting them and you'd be very surprised that they qualified at all.

It hurts me to agree with Limbo but he is unfortunately right :( Still whether my country plays worthless or brilliant ..... I will stil support them!

Waerth

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, agree on the poor Dutch performances.

Thing is that they (any national team though) have very few games to play together so trying out half the country (as MvB has done) can't work in your favor. You do know what you've got but in the end you need those matches to create a team, and a team needs to play consistenly together, get used to styles, each and every player's potential, strengths etc etc.

You just can't change the team for every match, doesn't work. I say choose 25 players for the complete qualification period with an additional 5 subs or so if the injury list becomes too long. There are (of course) exceptions to be made if a player loses form significantly but in general keep a squad together.

As for Portugal.. I do hope them to win of course, but (and I'm being very honest here) very close behind I want them to play as they have done in their qualifying matches; fair and at times entertaining to watch, but most of all FAIR!!! I frikkin hate diving just as much as anybody. When Maniche fell and the ground versus Finland and pretended to be injured (I saw shit on the replay) I cursed him for pulling shit like that, really hate it. But luckily he's the only one so far and still hoping Scolari keeps that crap to a minimum.

Limbo...shall we try it once more....Portugal-Holland final? Samui? cold beer? :beer:

EURO 2008 will be much more better without English bald drunken Hooligans.

The usual chip-on-the-shoulder anti-English rant from Mentors. What a surprise... :)

You didn't happen to be in a Pattaya beer bar watching the England-Croatia game, by any chance?

I was watching (with resignation. I knew we'd lose, that we're shit, etc) and a group of 30-40 something drunk guys were cheering over-loudly, singing, ordering drinks and generally behaving like jerks (or hooligans :smirk: ) whenever Croatia scored or even when England missed a chance. At first, I assumed they must be Russian. (After all, Pattaya's full of them, right?)

But, coming up to half-time, I overheard them talking to each other. The language wasn't Russian - it was French!

Btw, there were English guys in the same bar but they were pretty well-behaved. :smirk:

Still, I'd say they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed given the number of knuckleheaded young English guys around in Pattaya...

England are shit at the moment (no creativity) but even they would have brightened up the tournament more than, say, Switzerland. Scotland definitely deserved better. They and their fans would have improved the tournament more than Austria or Switzerland or a number of others.

I honestly can't get too excited about the European championships though. Compared to the World Cup, nobody cares. It's a kind of half-hearted touranment. Teams like Greece and Denmark win the Euros and then it's forgotten. The last half-memorable championship was Euro 96 and that was only because it was held in a country with atmosphere and a half-decent football song came out of it.

'very boring tournament if you're English'

not at all my friend........

i watched just about every Game from the South American version of the Euro's and it was very entertaining.

i'm only interested in seeing good Football.

it doesn't matter who is playing,Arsenal are not my Team but i like watching them.

anyway,enough of the Euro's.

looking at the odds for the 2010 World Cup and i find them rather strange,some selections here.

Argentina 4/1

Brazil 4/1

Germany 10/1

France 12/1

Holland 16/1

and England are 9/1 3rd favourites..... :surprised:

not bad for a team which has no manager and has underachieved for many tournaments.

and the odds for the next England Manager.

Capello 15/8

Mourinho 7/2

O'Neill 9/2

Redknapp 8/1

Benitez 12/1

Scolari 16/1

Klinsmann 16/1

Capello wants it and might get the job.

i'm surprised Scolari is so far down the betting as he was the 1st choice of the F.A. last time around.

but i find it funny that so many are turning their backs on the job.

give it to Redknapp i say....... :thumbup:

Archived