Turning Buddhist

For me, at this moment in life, I see budism more as a 'way of life' as a "religion". I bought a book lately from "Phra Peter Pannapadipo" called "Good morning buddha" and after reading 4 chapters now (Just started) it is incredible! He is a english guy who is a monk in Thailand and describes in a very easy way what budism is about. Really my eyes opened and I think I already understand many things about Thai society better as before. He did write the book "Phra farang" (Farang monk) also and I am sure I will but it after i finished this book.

I have been brought up catolic, have been an 'altar boy' in church but quitted catolic church when I was 12 (Some 28 years ago). I think the religuous part of budism is not as important as the 'perception of life' part and I can say to everyone who lives with a budist: READ IT!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being raised catholic more than anything else, the switch to Thailand's flavour of Bhuddism really isn't that much of a difference.

Catholics pray to Jesus, Mary and and assorted mix of saints, depending on the occaision. Thais pray to Bhudda, Rama 5, and an assorted mix spririts depending on the occaision.

Catholics drink wine, Thais drink whiskey

Catholics eat dry bread, Thais eat everything.

Catholics wear a cross around their neck, Thais wear a Bhudda amulet. Both burn candles and light incense.

Catholics confess to a priest, have to pray a few times, make a donation and all'swell. Thais are blessed by a monk, make a donation, pray a few times and all'swell.

A Catholic's life sucks, but at least you go to heaven. A Bhuddist life's suffering, but at least you go on to be re-born as Thaksin Shinawatra.

Catholics are better singers. Bhuddist monks the better rappers.

Weddings are so similar you can't even tell the difference after a few classes of wine/whiskey.

Funerals / cremations are admittedly more fun for Bhuddists, and there's more to eat.

And so on. smile.gif" border="0

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

Seriously though, I've spent some time in a forest temple in Thailand which was fun.

In many temples you can do meditation courses for virtually no money, but you'll likely be around a bunch of hippie-backpackers of the most annoying kind.

Wat Rampoeng in Chiang Mai is a good place if you ever want to see a bunch of farang basket cases floating around in white robes.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Scum_Baggio:

>>but you're wrong. "Buddham Sharanam Gacchami" is Pali/Sanskrit >>

So...enlighten me. laugh.gif" border="0 Is it Pali or Sanskrit then since your favourite subjects is Indian linguistics?? I only learned that verse from Thais. frown.gif" border="0

>>Incidentally, the monks have 227 rules to follow, among them not to touch money, not to use any mode of transport other than their feet, etc., etc.>>

Have you been ordianed as a monk? I'm sure many of us would be appreciate it if you share your experience with us.

Caio, BkkShaggy.

The Thais' Pali pronunciation is about as accurate as RC Church Latin pronunciation, and is far superior to the old "Latin" that used to be taught in the West using English pronunciation. Quite simply, some sounds in Pali are not found in Thai. So the Thais change them, just as they do with English.

Originally posted by Ubaath:

"Master ScumBaggio,

would you please enlighten us what you full name means? Thankx."

Hi Ubaath (nice name yourself!),

Swami is Sanskrit for lord, master. You got that one right (it's also the root of Thai "saami", husband).

Chod - Hindi for shag (OK, I admit it's a bit of a breach of style to have Hindi in here).

Anand - Bliss (Skt.)

Maharaj - Great King (Skt.)

So the full name translates as "Master Scum_Baggio, the Great King of the Blissful Shag" (sorry, modesty has never been my dominant trait).

But actually, just call me Scum. I'm used to that.

Cheers, SB laugh.gif" border="0

BkkShaggy,

becoming a monk is about the last idea that would cross my mind during my current incarnation! I'm rather an adherent of the Hedonistic school of thought, and I'm constantly striving for utmost perfection in it (maybe we can start a discussion about Tantra Yoga here!)

In the case of "Buddham Sharanam Gacchami", it can be either, Pali or Sanskrit. You will be aware that Pali developed from Sanskrit and the difference is largely in its vocabulary (see below). In the above three words, there is no difference between the two languages - unless I'm badly mistaken; I've never seen in written in the Pali script, and English transliterations can be misleading at times.

Some examples for the difference between Sanskrit and Pali words:

Sanskrit karma - Pali kamma

dharma - dhamma

sutra - sutta

bhakta - bhatta (a devotee).

klesha - kilesha (pain)

The name Pali is possibly derived from "palli", village, since Pali (and all other Prakrits = from Sanskrit derived languages) was the language of the common people.

Another theory traces the name back to "pala" (keep, preserve), as the Buddhist canon was preserved in Pali. "Pala" incidentally just as in Bhumipala (Phumipon), "The Preserver of the Earth". I'd rather subscribe to this second interpretation.

Gimmie wine, gimmie women and most of all my neighbour's pretty wife!

Swami Scum_Baggio Chodanand Maharaj wink.gif" border="0

I believe the first English monk in LOS was Richard Randall who went over to Wat Paknam in 1954. He wrote a book also, called Life as a Siamese monk which is still in print. Worth reading for his remarkable experiences in meditation.-peter

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

[i bought a book lately from "Phra Peter Pannapadipo" called "Good morning buddha" and after reading 4 chapters now (Just started) it is incredible! He is a english guy who is a monk in Thailand

Sammy,

The "7 day thing" is a much abreaviated ordination (not really an ordination). It is usually done to make merrit and atone for having done something wrong.

Usually Thai men become monks for a three month period. I don't know if I could hack that.

I figure one week of walking "bin da bot" and learning a little Pali would give me just a taste.

Archived