Turning Buddhist

greetings master scum b., to borrow from yoga philosophy,(probably patanjali)one must cease the modifications of the mind on consciousness, to arrive back at where it really is, and where we never really left.bhudda,jc, sai baba, and many others all tell that in their own way. but the herd does not want to hear it. they would rather be caught up in the worship of dualism so their mind/ego can live on. my choice of dualistic diversion is sanuk, and i look forward to a tantric february.--br69

laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Brink15:

" The linguistic roots of many languages seem to go back to Sanskrit. It's very interesting to see how much Thai culture and language was influenced by India."

It's not entirely correct to say that many languages go back to Sanskrit; in most cases they can be traced back to a language called Proto-Indo-European by linguists(PIE), a kind of precursor of Sanskrit.

That said, it is a fact that in about 80% of our planet's surface people speak a language which has been influenced by, or is to a lesser or greater extent based on PIE/Sanskrit.

Notable exceptions are Chinese, Arabian, Hebrew, Turkish, Basque, Finnish and Hungarian (though both have some PIE/Sanskrit derived loan words).

It's extremelely interesting how Thailand's culture and language was largely shaped by India. Unfortunately, many Thais don't like to face up to that fact, India being regarded as something of a third-rate nation.

The Thai language has an immense vocabulary of Sanskrit/Pali based words, especially in the more formal language.

Some examples: "Dog", as you will know is "maa" in Thai, a Chinese-derived word; in more formal language it's "sunaak", from Sanskrit "svaana".

"Woman" in everyday Thai is "phoo-ying", in formal Thai it's "satri" from Skt. "stri", or "vanida" from Skt. "vanita" (also the base for Engl. "vanity", via Latin "vanitas").

Thai names are more often than not Sanskrit-based. I'm reminded of that every time I pass by Suriwong(se) Road - Suriwong is the Thai version of "Suriya-vamsa", "Dynasty of the Sun". Countless town names are Sanskrit-based (except in Northern Thailand); there are so many I don't even want to begin naming them.

Interestingly, even the name "Isaan" is basically a Sanskrit word. It's derived from "Ishaana", which is one of the 1,008 names of the Hindu god Shiva. You may be aware that Isaan, as well as Cambodia, were once strongly influenced by Hinduism; and Shiva was one of the most widely worshipped gods (along with Vishnu).

Well, I could go on for a few hours, but I'll spare you.

Cheers, SB cool.gif" border="0

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived