Turning Buddhist

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Sammy,

I have been edging toward Buddhism. I read a lot of Zen books before I went to LOS. "Talking Zen" by Allen Watts is incredible if you like philosophical puzzles.

In LOS I am particularly struck by the devotion to Buddha of my Thai girlfriends. One is forever trekking to temples with her friends and the other is forever overspending on flowers "for Buddha." This form of Buddhism (somebody please tell me its name) has Buddha as its god, with heaven and hell consequences for deeds in life. At least I think that is how it works.

Prayers are said to ask for protection and help from Buddha. A girlfriend put flowers on my motorbike. Five days later they were spent, so I removed them. The next day I had an accident. Now I wear the yarn bracelet that another girlfriend tied on my left wrist - "Take care me Buddha!"

I would be interested in communicating with anyone who knows more about this than I do...

zanemay@yahoo.com

That's cool Zane May,

I think Buddhism is a fascinating religion...and worthy of some time and effort. Although I'm not much into "Buddha worship" and superstitions thereof, the concept of meditation is interesting. I would be interested in meeting some old monks who have been meditating for years and years...checking out their state of mind, etc.

When I'm in the LOS, I always participate in Buddhist ceremonies just to experience another aspect of Thai culture.

I enjoy going to the Wats to tambun, it makes me feel relaxed to sit and contemplate life in the wiharns.

I used to wake up early once or twice a month to give food to the monks as they made their alms rounds.

I've thought about doing the seven day monk thing just to get a better perspective.

I don't consider my self Buddhist, just curious.

As a matter of fact I pretty much despise organized religion, at least what we have here in the West. I think it is far better to be a spiritual person, than to worship some guy acting as a figurehead in a church.

There should be an open season on televangelists, maybe from November through May. No limit either. laugh.gif" border="0

Thanks for your thoughts Brink,

I'm curious what the 7 day monk thing "is"? Would you mind telling me more?

The cool thing about meditation...when you meditate in places where others meditate...like temples...supposedly it enhances the experience...

Zane May:

>>In LOS I am particularly struck by the devotion to Buddha of my Thai girlfriends. One is forever trekking to temples with her friends and the other is forever overspending on flowers "for Buddha." This form of Buddhism (somebody please tell me its name) has Buddha as its god, with heaven and hell consequences for deeds in life. At least I think that is how it works.>>

Believing in spirits is not Buddhism as well as asking for help from Buddha. In fact, he teaches us to depend onto yourself - not anybody else. But The Thais combines their spirit worship, which had existed in the region before Buddhism came in, with Buddhism. So a lot of people confuse and misunderstand between Buddism and Spirit worshiping.

>.Prayers are said to ask for protection and help from Buddha. A girlfriend put flowers on my motorbike. Five days later they were spent, so I removed them. The next day I had an accident. Now I wear the yarn bracelet that another girlfriend tied on my left wrist - "Take care me Buddha!">>

This is excactly what I just told you. It's not Buddist belief. Just like the spirit houses you see everywhere. They are for the spirits who live in the area. The owner of the place will offer food everyday to the spirits. Thus, hoping the spirit will protect them form any harm while the owner living/working there.

There are a lot of Buddism sites on the net. Go to www.google.com and type "Theravada Buddism". You'll get something interesting to read for sure.

think1stbkk:

Buddism to me is a philosophy rather than a religion. That's why it is a little hard to understand than other religions where there are relatively clearer specify code of conduct for laymen. But the monks has over 200 rules to observe.

Scum_Baggio:

>>Buddham sharanam gacchami>>

It should be " Bood tang sa ra nang kad cha mi". Don't ask me what it means !! laugh.gif" border="0

Sorry, BkkShaggy,

but you're wrong. "Buddham Sharanam Gacchami" is Pali/Sanskrit and means "I take refuge in the Buddha". (Buddha = in/to the Buddha; Sharanam = Shelter, Protection; Gacchami = I go). You happen to hit on one of my favourite subjects here, Indian linguistics.

The way you write/pronounce it is the Thai way, which has nothing much to do with the original Pali.

I'm not sure if one can describe Buddhism as a way of life rather than a religion. Hinduism, yes.

The word "religion" comes from Latin "religio", which if I remember correctly means "I bend myself (to a set of rules)". Buddhism certainly has a fixed ethical codex, rules. Hinduism is a different matter, as whatever may be propounded in one scripture, you may find the exact opposite in some other school of thought.

Incidentally, the monks have 227 rules to follow, among them not to touch money, not to use any mode of transport other than their feet, etc., etc.

Cheers, SB cool.gif" border="0

BkkShaggy,

that's very much true. Thai Buddhism is a bit of an unfortunate mixture of Animism, Hinduism and Buddhism and thus permeated with all kinds of trite rituals, spirit worship etc.

Buddha himself opposed all kinds of rituals, he refuted the Hindu Vedas (which are full of rites, rituals and invocations), as well as the worship of idols. Insead, he asked his followers to look for "the light within".

To me, the only real Buddhists in Thailand are the followers of Santi Asoke, but anyone who's been around here for a while knows what happened to them - crushed by the Buddhist establishment under the leadership of the Sankharat. I'd rather not say more otherwise the thought police are gonna get me.

Buddham sharanam gacchami,

S_B cool.gif" border="0

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived