Turning Buddhist

SB,

I am suitably impressed with your knowledge of Pali. Where did you pick it up?

Do you know of any sources on the web to learn Pali?

All I know so far is the chant that is said three times when wai-ing phra: "Namo tasat pakawat do, arahat do, sama som poot dasat."

Forgive my translitteration, I'm not very good at it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Brink15:

"I figure one week of walking "bin da bot" and learning a little Pali would give me just a taste."

The morning alms round is actually called bintha-baat, from Pali pinda-paata, "to throw down the lump".

Originally posted by Brink15:

SB,

"I am suitably impressed with your knowledge of Pali. Where did you pick it up?"

Did quite a bit of Sanskrit at Uni and then a lot o private interest in languages in general. Wouldn't know of any Pali study source on the web, though.

Shit, man, 13 years ago, with the Lnely Planet under my arms,i was going the buddhist way, but it all got short-circuited after a few too many trips to Pattaya. Still, i think someday i will take it seriously again. Buddhism is the best philosophy you can fry your brain in. Thais treat it as a religion, and associate it with a lot of superstition, and the monks go along with it. that's fine and it makes for a great culture and exotic behaviour. But the truth is: Buddha died a long time ago, you can pray and offer all you want, he's not listening anymore. We are on our own, and anything bad or good is up to us. I would like to share a great tale told by the great story teller Joe Campbell: Once upon a time in India, under the rule of the Buddhist emperor Ashoka, the river Ganges was overflowing and the only way they could be retracting was for someone to perform an ACT OF TRUTH, which only a person who had been fulfilling his life duty to perfection could perform. Actually no one could do it in the whole country, not even high priests or the emperor himself. But then came one old woman, Bindumati, who had been a prostitute all her life, at the bottom of the social ladder,the lowest of low says Campbell. She said she would do it, closed her eyes and the waters started slowing down, and the flooding stopped. No one could understand as she did it, but Ashoka went to see her when he found out, and she replied to him: "whoever gives me money, brahmin or untouchable, i treat him as any other, i make no distinction and have no contempt for the poor or envy for the rich. Free from fawning and contempt, i serve the owner of the money. And this, your Majesty is the ACT OF TRUTH by which i caused the mighty Ganges to flow back upstream". So the way to "God" , Campbell adds is to go about your life and job faithfully, selflessly, in perfect humility and THAT is the greatest power an individual can have.

So, Pattay127 tells you,expect the max from your barfined girl, as this is her way to salvation. Uh, something like that....

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

Being raised catholic more than anything else, the switch to Thailand's flavour of Bhuddism really isn't that much of a difference.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

I read a book set in Thailand recently. It was a pretty forgettable book (clearly, since I don't even remember the title), but I did enjoy and remember at least one little snippet. It basically tried to summarize the philosophy's of Christianity and Buddhism in one sentence each, and came up with these:

Christianity: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Buddhism: "Shit happens."

quote:

"All I know so far is the chant that is said three times when wai-ing phra: "Namo tasat pakawat do, arahat do, sama som poot dasat.

Forgive my translitteration, I'm not very good at it."

I'm not sure if I can identify all the words in the above chant, as you transcribe from the Thai pronunciation.

namo - salutations (to) / I greet

tasat - can't tell, 'cause I'm not sure if it's long or short a's (makes one hell of a diff.)

pakawat do - that should be bhagawato, divine. Because the final syllable is stressed it may appear to you like a separate word.

arahat do - arahanto, the worthy one or one who has attained nirvana.

sama - equal (to)

sam poot - sambuddha, enlightened

Can't account for the remaining sat; again, depends if the a is long or short, and if the s might really be a sh, etc. etc.

It becomes clear though that the chant is a greeting and a homage to a "phra", equating him with a divine and enlightened being. A bit of pak-waan-dom, as usual.

Cheers, SB cool.gif" border="0

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

SB,

Thanks much. I'm going to check out the links and see if I can learn a little bit of Pali.

The linguistic roots of many languages seem to go back to Sanskrit. It's very interesting to see how much Thai culture and language was influenced by India.

I never heard of Santi Asoke but looked it up along with other thai movements like dhammakaya at this site

http://www.abo.fi/comprel/temenos/temeno32/horn.htm

Seems santi Asoke got sat on for following the buddha a lot closer than the coffee drinking, smoking, and money making holy men of the estabished sangha-peter

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

[QB]BkkShaggy,

To me, the only real Buddhists in Thailand are the followers of Santi Asoke, but anyone who's been around here for a while knows what happened to them - crushed by the Buddhist establishment under the leadership of the Sankharat. I'd rather not say more otherwise the thought police are gonna get me.

Buddham sharanam gacchami,

Archived