BCS Championship Game

Hugh_Hoy

Well, it looks like Ohio State, as much as I hate to see it, will back in to the championship game. So it will be interesting to see who will play the Buckeyes. There will be a lot of argument, no matter what team is determined.

Personally, I hate to see Ohio State in the game for several reasons: I'm a Pac-10 guy; I've been privileged to see the Pac-10 teams regularly send Big 10 teams home from the Rose Bowl with their tails between their legs (in most years); I've hated Ohio State since Woody Hayes was there (he was a genuine asshole)and I was looking forward to seeing USC thrash OSU Jan 1 in the Rose Bowl. Now, to be fair, I only saw OSU play one game this year and that was against Michigan. I saw a really dull game and thought that a Big 10 team that could only put up 14 points against Michigan is not very impressive.

Maybe it is time for a playoff? There are gonna be howls from all over the country after this year's nightmare. (The biggest debacle since the BCS was created.)

HH

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a year. It seemed every week the powerhouses were getting knocked off. And this was the year USC was supposed to have fielded what people predicted would be the greatest college squad in history, then lost--twice. LSU had its chance for glory, twice. It looked like OSU's meltdown to a minnow late in the season was out, but then another round of upsets today as the latest #1 and #2 both go down.

Now it looks like Georgia, a 2 loss team, will be playing for all the marbles against what people see as a somewhat weak OSU. Meanwhile no one seems to have noticed Hawaii has remained undefeated all year long and buries its competitor in points to the tune of 40, 50, 60 a game. If a 2 loss team deserves a shot at the title, so does Hawaii. So there you have it, the BCS has robbed the NCAAF of a real title game again.

Son of a "b" ! Hawaii out-scored Washington in the last 50 minutes 35-0 and won 35-21 in a thriller. Colt Brennan, the Hawaii QB is definitely on the short list for the Heisman and it looks like Hawaii will be a favorite to be in the Sugar Bowl. Hawaii, the only undefeated team in the "majors", could face LSU. What a yuk it would be if that were the case and LSU took it on the chin. Would be the second year in a row that a WAC team upset an "elite" program. I guess a lot will be sorted out Sunday.

HH

Gotta amend my previous. Final score was 35-28. Brennan will probably go very high in the NFL draft. I've seen, I think, all of the front-runners in the Heisman. There are some really very good candidates. Would be tough to choose. Until Dixon (Oregon) went down, he certainly would've been on the list. Actually, this is only his first good year for the Ducks. He might want to think about baseball, cuz I'm not sure how bad his leg is and don't know if the pro's would take him very high. Only saw Tebow once. The guy's only a sophomore, but is a fantastic player! McFadden...can do anything and everything, but I think Brennan can do it better. That is, if I were an NFL GM, I'd draft Brennan ahead of McFadden.

So, Neo, who are you pulling for? You have a team you'd like to see win in a Bowl Game? Any favorite for the Heisman?

I've noticed that SD and Bada Bing and Choc Steve are quiet these days. Steve/Bada: your teams gonna meet in the Outback?

HH

Before Dixon went down it looked to me like Oregon would win it all (given they got the ranking) and Dixon would deserve the Heisman. After Dixon went down they became a completely different team without him.

Apparently who will play for the BCS championship is going to be more wide open than I thought. The teams that were idle like Georgia will sink while ones that won will rise. I haven't been pulling for anyone too hard this year. If I had to rank for the BCS I would say 3 teams deserve consideration:

Hawaii, the only undefeated team. Their competition was weak, but an offense that averages nearly 50 points a game and never tasted defeat is impressive no matter what, and especially so this season where there turned out to be no dominant big name team. I would also tip Brennan for the Heisman. His stats in the last game: 42 of 50 passing, 5 TDs, 0 ints.

OSU & Kansas, amazingly these are the only 1 loss teams left. Very tough call to choose one over the other.

Everyone else: well lose twice and you just aren't that impressive anymore no matter how tough your schedule is. Hypothetically if there were a playoff, sure put 'em in the mix and see what happens. But since there isn't one, why should they get a 3rd chance to prove they are the best?

I've noticed that SD and Bada Bing and Choc Steve are quiet these days. Steve/Bada: your teams gonna meet in the Outback?

Not much to talk about, is there? Not only do we have the worst record in memory, we have to deal with that shitty Sean Taylor situation. :rip: Sean.

Back on topic, Hawai'i deserves to play for #1. Period.

cheers,

SD

Agreed SD....What more can they do? They have beaten all their opponents, most of them by big margins. They have in what my opinion is the Heisman trophy winner quarterbacking them. I cannot confirm this as I am too lazy to find out (and I wouldn't know where to look anyway) but a friend of mine told me Hawaii offered Michigan and another team (I forget who but a big name school) 750k to play Hawaii and they were turned down. Some say their schedule is weak but if you offer big name schools money to play you and they won't do it, that shows me nobody wants to tangle with them.

Hands down they should be in the championship game.

Neoâ?¦I think OSU will definitely back into the BCS #1 game. And if they play LSU, like a lot of people seem to think, LSU should wipe them out. On the other hand, Iâ??m not sold that LSU is as great as their fan base brags. Even in a strong conference, having to go into three overtimes and lose to so-so teams isnâ??t putting away opponents like a true champion. On the other hand, maybe there is just a lot of â??parityâ? this yearâ?¦a situation that demands a playoff be instituted. For what itâ??s worth, I think it would be an injustice to put Kansas in over Oklahoma. USC blew it with 2 losses. If they hadnâ??t lost to Stanford, theyâ??d be in New Orleans in the BCS Championship game. Only have themselves to blame.

SD...I can't believe what happened to Miami this year. Never thought I'd go through a bowl season without them being on the tube.

Yeah, the Taylor tragedy is really something. Four punks kill a guy in his home who is only armed with a machete. Now, if Taylor had been armed with a shotgun...or even a handgun? (Just pullin' your leg.) I can't believe Taylor didn't have an effective alarm system. (Mine is three dogs I rescued from the SPCA just before their walk to the Green Room.)

Well, at least you Lionesses have had a decent season. Maybe not decent enough for the first round of the playoffs, but enough to be interesting.

Troy...Hawaii ain't gonna get even in top 5...maybe the top 10. Only one or two teams ahead of them lost in the last week. I think too much tradition is put on the major conference teams. But no matter what level of competition you're at, 12-0 is just playing great football.

Iâ??m pulling for Brennan, but he isnâ??t from a major conference school. He might not get the Heisman, but my guess is that heâ??ll go higher in the NFL draft than the Heisman winner (if the winner is a senior or an underclassman who declares his eligibility for the draft).

I guess in five hours, the BCS fiasco will be exposed and the howling will begin !

HH

Archived