BCS Championship Game

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who gets drafted #1 and who wins the Heisman are two different animals (as you know). Heisman winners are usually running backs. As for McFadden, if he can block, that's where he might end up on Sundays. If not, maybe a receiver. Of course, QB is what Brennan is all about. The NFL is looking for QB's who can run/scramble and Brennan can certainly do that. He can fire it hard and he can fire it loooooooooooong. I wouldn't call Hawaii's offense "gimicky". I'd call it wide-open. Spread the defense and let your QB have fun throwing it down the field. And that is what Brennan has been doing for a few years now (while collecting school, Pac-10, and NCAA records). As to where he or McFadden go in the draft, I'd say it will depend on what team is drafting when their names come up. McDaniel is certainly a QB who could be the first QB. While there will be a lot of speculation, we won't know until draft day. QB's are in short supply. I'll take Brennan. :D Heisman doesn't really mean much except to the guy who wins it. Like you said, a beauty contest put on by the best advertising agencies.

HH

No disrespect but if you think McFadden will be drafted to play WR then I can assume you have not seen him play. It's definitely worthwhile to go to YouTube and search for some of his highlight clips... unbelievable. He will definitely be a RB in the NFL along the lines of O.J. Simpson (insert murder joke here) and Eric Dickerson.

I'll admit I have not seen much of Brennan, but all the stuff I have read about him says the drawbacks are can he stand up to the punishment dished out by NFL defenses and his footwork under center (he won't be in the shotgun every play in the NFL). There are also questions about his deep ball ability.

Finally, he hasn't exactly played against the world's best defenses. Check out Hawaii's schedule; no wonder they're undefeated. Some 5A high schools in Texas could probably go unbeaten against that slate. They will get their chance against Georgia though.

There are not many doubts that McFadden will be the first RB chosen in the draft. Like you said, where that happens depends on the draft order. Some teams may need defensive help and some teams may have another need to fill. Still, McFadden will definitely be top 5 if everything holds course.

Here's a tidbit from one draft analyst:

"Arkansas junior running back Darren McFadden and Louisville senior quarterback Brian Brohm are the favorites to be the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft. But Miami, New England (from San Francisco), the New York Jets, St. Louis Rams and Atlanta Falcons hold the top five picks."

Not sure where some guy thinks Brennan canâ??t stand up to punishment. Who said this and why? Any credible source you can lead me to? I know of only one time Brennan sat out because of an injuryâ?¦concussion acquired in a scramble for a ball. Hereâ??s what was said about it by the opposing coach: Fresno State coach Pat Hill visited Brennan after the game. "I just wanted to see how he was," Hill said. "He's a heck of a player. ... I wished him luck. That was a heck of a hit he took." Soâ?¦you get a concussion and have to sit out a game. Is that not being able to hold up? I donâ??t think so. Not enough, certainly, to put a jacket on a guy. It might be true that another 20 lbs. might be an advantage. Then maybe not. Footwork? Come on now. Whatever deficiency there is there can be worked on and corrected. No big deal at this point.

I saw McFadden only once for an entire game. (Same for Brennan.) As for highlights, you can string those together for almost any Div. 1 player and make him look like Superman. I saw enough of McFadden to know heâ??s a very, very good running back who can make things happen. Same with Brennan, at QB.

BTW, this comment: â??Some 5A high schools in Texas could probably go unbeaten against that slate.â? You lose BIG (HUGE) credibility points for that one ! Still, good for a chuckle (which I desperately needed today). Thanks.

HH

NEW YORK (AP) - Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, trying to become the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy, and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, the runner-up for last year's award, were among the four finalists selected Wednesday.

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel and Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan were the other finalists. They will all be in New York on Saturday night when the award is given to the top player in college football.

Not sure where some guy thinks Brennan canâ??t stand up to punishment. Who said this and why? Any credible source you can lead me to?

John Murphy - Yahoo! Draft Analyst

Soâ?¦you get a concussion and have to sit out a game. Is that not being able to hold up? I donâ??t think so.

Fresno State's defense will not be mistaken for the Pittsburgh Steelers any day soon. The chances of taking more big hits are exponentially greater in the NFL than college ball. NFL GM's are always wary of slight of build guys for this very reason.

Footwork? Come on now. Whatever deficiency there is there can be worked on and corrected. No big deal at this point.

I beg to differ. This is almost like saying "Oh that guy will be ok if we can get his 40 time down 2 tenths of a second. Some things you are born with and some you aren't.

As for highlights, you can string those together for almost any Div. 1 player and make him look like Superman. I saw enough of McFadden to know heâ??s a very, very good running back who can make things happen. Same with Brennan, at QB.

You can not do that for almost any Div 1 player. Far from it. Both McFadden and Brennan are way above the norm. You can make these sorts of videos for those two guys after every single game. Other players may take an entire season or career to come up with the stuff these guys do in one performance.

BTW, this comment: â??Some 5A high schools in Texas could probably go unbeaten against that slate.â? You lose BIG (HUGE) credibility points for that one !

It was a bit of sarcasm used to drive home a point that Hawaii has not played top caliber competition this year. I don't think anyone will argue with the basic premise.

They get their chance when they face Georgia. Last year Boise State proved the little guy can knock off the big guy; but in all honestly I think Georgia is going to skull-fuck Hawaii. :cover:

BTW, you lost big credibility in your earlier post when you inferred Brennan played in the PAC-10.

And that is what Brennan has been doing for a few years now (while collecting school, Pac-10, and NCAA records)

Hawaii is a member of the WAC. Those two leagues will never be confused for one another when it comes to level of competition. Never mind your later post when you thought McFadden might get drafted as a WR.

No big deal. I'm not slamming Brennan at all; just posting why I think McFadden will get drafted ahead of him. Remember, you're the one that specifically said:

That is, if I were an NFL GM, I'd draft Brennan ahead of McFadden

We have different opinions but I'm willing to make a wager that McFadden goes ahead of Brennan. This would be prefaced that either player doesn't blow out a knee or get arrested for a multiple homicide (or something equally serious) between now and draft day. You willing to wager?

Before making your decision you might want to check the "character issues" related to Brennan and why he had to transfer from Colorado. A little snippet after doing a google search for "Colt Brennan" +"arrest"...

"Brennan walked into the woman's room uninvited with an erect penis showing out of his pants, lay on her bed and told her: "Come here, let's play," according to an arrest report."

Never fear, McFadden had an incident prior to the previous season. Seems he got in a scuffle with some dudes outside a nightclub after they tried to steal his brother's car.

I think that pales in comparison to an exposed erect penis and barging into a woman's room. Where did he think he was, Patpong? :shocked:

Yeah, I misspoke about "PAC 10". I'm quite aware of the west coast league memberships. Simply typed too fast.

McFadden may be drafted ahead of Brennan. But not saying that I would. Lots of talking heads (and there are 100's of them) like Daniel and McFadden to be chosen in the first few choices.

RayRay...I'm not interested in carrying this any further. I read the blogs and SEC fans' comments regularly. Their teams are the greatest, their shit don't stink. they know it all, and you can argue/debate for weeks. The game is won on the field. Let's see how it comes out.

HH

NEW YORK (AP) - Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, trying to become the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy, and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, the runner-up for last year's award, were among the four finalists selected Wednesday.

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel and Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan were the other finalists. They will all be in New York on Saturday night when the award is given to the top player in college football.

I've seen them all on the tube at least once. If the rest of their games were like the ones I saw, they're all worthy of consideration.

Truth be told, I'd rather be in a go-go in BKK watching a scantily-clad young chick grab a pole

poledancer.jpg

than be in front of a TV watching some dude hold a trophy

44-lg.jpg

HH

Archived