BCS Championship Game

Hugh_Hoy

I'm just glad we (Auburn) beat 'Bama for the 6th straight season. BUCK 'FAMA!!

College football is the ONLY college sport without an undisputed champion and a play off.

I've heard various reasons why and the most common answer are the college presidents won't do it. For what reason, I don't know why? The conference champions all qualify and like the basketball tournament, a few at large teams voted in by committee for the independents (meaning Notre Dame gets in no matter what..and I'm no Domer).

The final games are just going underway now, the playoffs could start next week and the ensuing weeks and culminate mid to late January. If they use the 'too long of a season' lie, then they need to end college basketball's season a few weeks early as well. When I ran track it went from January to June, leaving Thursday morning most weeks and thereby missing Thursday and Friday classes.

Well, at least this season has been the most contested national championship run in recent memory. Seemed no one wanted it. Also, has this been the weakest looking USC team in a few years? Or has everyone else caught up?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for no playoff, as best I understand it, is the bowl system funnels $$$ to the major football powerhouse conferences, while for an NCAA playoff, the money would be shared with ALL division 1-A schools. So even though there would be more money overall, it would be spread out over a wider base leaving less money for the big boys, and more for the bottom feeders.

Also, has this been the weakest looking USC team in a few years? Or has everyone else caught up?

No question that this year's edition of the USC team hasn't played to the level of the teams of recent years. But let's face it: USC football almost played in a league of their own for a couple of years. I wouldn't expect them to be able to sustain performance at that level in the long run. Two/three years ago, USC was putting teams away by 40 or 50 points. And the Stanford and Oregon losses wouldn't have happened either.

This year there are a lot of very good teams, but none that match up with some of the previous teams that absolutely dominated their opponents week in and week out.

I wish there was a way both OSU and LSU could lose :D (Both have good teams, but (IMO) both are over-rated.

HH

I wish there was a way both OSU and LSU could lose :D (Both have good teams, but (IMO) both are over-rated.

Agreed, mate. And especially being from Michigan (OhioSU is the Anti-Christ)...and having warm feelings for my first Asian GF (she's from NOLA, and her bro' went to, and now teaches at, LSU)...I'm obviously torn. So, I'm still am an outta-luck (Rainbow) Warrior fan this year.

Cheers,

SD - wondering if Hawai'i killed the "Rainbow" bit so as not to be thought of as gay :dunno: ? Lame, if so...

HH........I knew they had no shot at the NC game, just wishful thinking.

SD...not so far off the truth in talking about why the word rainbow was dropped. Supposedly, some gay rights group(s) did not like it for whatever reason so the college bowed down and dropped the name down to just Hawaii Warriors.

Supposedly, some gay rights group(s) did not like it for whatever reason so the college bowed down and dropped the name down to just Hawaii Warriors.

I think it was those gay-looking Uni sweatshirts in tie-dyed rainbow motif. Nobody would believe that a real warrior would be seen in one. 55555

SD...I think that West of the Mississippi, there will be a lot of folks pulling for Hawaii. A lot of "anti-SEC" types also. (Rest of the country gets kinda bored with SEC schools bragging every year about how great they are.)

What's interesting is this: the PC-police at the NCAA was gonna sanction Illinois over their use of an Indian warrior as a mascot last year. (Hell, even Stanford got rid of the "Indian" nicknme years ago.) But Hawaii goes all out to show off the "warrior" aspect of it's ancestry and is played up by the game producers on TV ad nauseum. Shit...I gotta believe that Hawaii has a half-dozen cheerleaders that are better looking than those made-up drum beaters that are shown after every Hawaii TD. If not, maybe Hawaii IS a poof school. 5555555555 (NOTE TO TV GAME PRODUCERS: Give us some shots of the Hawaii cheerleaders in grass skirts and no tops...PLEASE.)

HH

The NCAA termed Chief Illiniwek a hostile/abusive mascot and forced Illinois to stop using it. So they get rid of that, a proud symbol of power, but then you still have the Washington REDSKINS.

I found the final rankings a bit suspect. #7 LSU astonishingly moves up to #2 in all the polls. That doesn't seem to reflect anything that happened on the field as they had a come from behind win. Meanwhile Hawaii has the comeback of the year and doesn't hardly budge in the rankings at all, save attrition.

As far as I am concerned if Hawaii beats Georgia they are the national champs and no one will tell me different.

I grew up a USC fan. 'student body left' and 'student body right'. Went to Auburn but USC remains my team as well.

Its impossible to have a dynasty nowadays. Too much parity and players leaving earlier after a half way decent season (its ruined college basketball completely).

Well, where is your team in this list?

BCS GAMES

1/7: Championship â?? No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. 2 LSU

1/3: Orange â?? No. 8 Kansas vs. No. 5 Virginia Tech

1/2: Fiesta â?? No. 3 Oklahoma vs. No. 11 West Virginia

1/1: Sugar â?? No. 4 Georgia vs. No. 10 Hawaii

1/1: Rose â?? No. 13 Illinois vs. No. 6 USC

OTHER BOWLS

1/6: GMAC â?? Bowling Green vs. Tulsa

1/5: International â?? Ball State vs. Rutgers

1/1: Gator â?? Texas Tech vs. No. 21 Virginia

1/1: Capital One â?? No. 9 Florida vs. Michigan

1/1: Cotton â?? No. 25 Arkansas vs. No. 7 Missouri

1/1: Outback â?? No. 16 Tennessee vs. No. 18 Wisconsin

12/31: Insight â?? Indiana vs. Oklahoma State

12/31: Chick-fil-A â?? No. 22 Auburn vs. No. 15 Clemson

12/31: Music City â?? Florida State vs. Kentucky

12/31: Humanitarian â?? Fresno State vs. Georgia Tech

12/31: Sun â?? Oregon vs. No. 23 South Florida

12/31: Armed Forces â?? Air Force vs. California

12/30: Independence â?? Alabama vs. Colorado

12/29: Alamo â?? Penn State vs. Texas A&M

12/29: Liberty â?? Central Florida vs. Mississippi State

12/29: Meineke Car Care: Connecticut vs. Wake Forest

12/28: Texas â?? Houston vs. TCU

12/28: Emerald â?? Maryland vs. Oregon State

12/28: Champs Sports: No. 14 Boston College vs. Michigan State

12/27: Holiday â?? No. 12 Arizona State vs. No. 17 Texas

12/26: Motor City â?? Central Michigan vs. Purdue

12/23: Hawaii â?? No. 24 Boise State vs. East Carolina

12/22: Las Vegas â?? No. 19 BYU vs. UCLA

12/22: New Mexico: Nevada vs. New Mexico

12/22: PapaJohns.com: No. 20 Cincinnati vs. Southern Miss

12/21: New Orleans: Florida Atlantic vs. Memphis

12/20: Poinsettia: Navy vs. Utah

That is, if I were an NFL GM, I'd draft Brennan ahead of McFadden.

If you did that you would not stay an NFL GM for long. QB's that rack up tons of stats in gimmick college offenses do not usually translate to NFL stars (see Andre Ware, David Klingler, Tim Couch, Danny Wuerfel et al). I would be willing to bet Brennan will not even be the first QB selected much less the first overall pick.

With McFadden you get one of the most gifted athletes to put on a pair of cleats in decades. The guy set a single game SEC rushing record this year (323 freakin' yards in one game). Not bad considering some of the RB's that have come through the league... Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Emmitt Smith, Kevin Faulk, etc.

He has a solid chance of being the #2 overall rusher in SEC history after the bowl game. Right now he trails Kevin Faulk by about 100 yards. Herschel Walker's record may never be broken; but if by some miracle McFadden came back for his senior year he would have a shot at that one too. That's not going to happen so Walker's record is safe.

Not sure if you know anything about Arkansas, but they have absolutely NO passing game so defenses load up the line of scrimmage. Arkansas also has another RB that went for over 1,000 yards each of the last two years (Felix Jones). If McFadden did not have to split so many carries with him Lord only knows how many more yards he would have.

Oh, and he's also a threat to take it to the house on kickoff returns as well. Don't think you can say Brennan could do the same :)

Yes, I am completely biased on this one. I've been a Razorback fan my entire life. Didn't really have a choice in that one since my uncle played on the Arkansas team that shared a national championship back in 1964 and that's where my entire family is from.

Still, I have watched a ton of football in my 35 years and I can probably count on one hand the number of players in the same class as McFadden when it comes to being the total package. Walker and Bo Jackson come to mind.

In the end, the Heisman is all a media game. The University of Arkansas' PR department is about as inept as their passing game was this year. Despite being the pre-season favorite for the "Stiff Arm Trophy" no serious media blitz was put forth by the SID. My personal opinion is Tebow is the current media darling and will win it. The only thing that may keep that from happening is the fact no sophomore has ever won the Heisman. I guess there's always a first time for everything.

Archived