Hornets nest- how to remove?

Bkkbound04

Guys,

theres a hornets nest that has appeared on the balcony in my house in Amnat Charoen, there appears to be a great reluctance from people in the village to remove it, they say it will move on of its own accord in due course, it has'nt & its grown to twice the size in the space of 4 weeks and slowing down the works I've commisoned.

Any advice on removing hornets nests safely?

JP

The people in your village are right : they will move elsewhere . It is just that it could take years if they like your place . At my place in Portugal they are since 2002 living in the same hole in the wall and I got used to them in the meantime . If you decide to neglect them they are quite acceptable neighbours actually .

They seem to have decided the farangs house is the place to be, the hive is in a corner and blocks the door out into the balcony and each time the door opens it will disturb the nest,its a fucking nusiance as the electric company won't work with the hornets there.

Can they be smoked out?

JP

Wait until dusk when they all return to the nest.

Soak a piece of cloth in kero or some other slow burning fuel and wrap it around the end of a stick long enough to keep you a safe distance from the nest.

Then lite the cloth and hold it directly under the nest.

Do it on the quiet as the Thais will probably be horrified at your mass taking of life.

Another way is to get a good solid frying pan with a fairly long handle. Get a box or two of those green mosquito coils. Light as many as will fit in to the pan at once and set it down so the smoke drifts straight up to the nest.

You might have to do this for a few consecutive nights but it worked for me.

Yep...I had a wasp's nest or two that I got rid of in about 3 minutes. The killer came in a spray can that shoots a stream about 8 feet (safe distance). Those wasps which were on the outside of the hive almost immediately fell to the ground. Those cowards hiding inside, came roaring out and fell to the ground. Hive destroyed right away. Saga over very quickly.

HH

Whatever you do, when you do it make sure you are wearing clothing that protects you just in case you get swarmed. People have died removing nests including a neighbor of mine on Cape Cod many years ago.

Pay attention to places like the back of your neck. Put elastic bands around the cuffs of your pants and shirt. Heavy gloves and a full face motorcycle helmet would not be a bad idea.

Chances are they will just drop dead like others have said, but don't take the chance unprotected as my unfortunate neighbor did.

Archived