Thai Con Artists ruin holidays

clubsiam

I agree to Stan. Even a clueless tourist doesn't deserve be scammed, especially when the scams are so perfectly excercised (taxi scams at the aiport, National palace and tuktuk/shop scam, gem scam, e.g.) by people in official looking uniforms who stand just in front of the authorized workers/ official entrances. :onfire:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just a part of travelling. I got ripped off for 100 quid in Soho years back. I did not whinge about, just chalked it up to a learning experience. It never happened again.

People want to have a sanitised experience free from risk, yet want to have the freedom that a third world country offers. Sorry, it does not work that way, thankfully!

Even in first-world countries as referenced by my Soho story!

Are the scammers innocent? No, of course not. But if silly people who let their greed rule their brain did not do that, then the scammers would be out of business. And I include myself in that "use their brain" bit -- I've made plenty of expensive "mistakes".

The best advice is common sense: "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

Som nam na.

Regards,

SD

Yep, I agree. I also have been ripped off a few times. never for very much, but ripped off never the less, in my years. I have the same attitude; take it on the chin, and dont moan about it.

That said, for all we know, this attitude may be common. "bugger it. It has happened now. Whatever". Maybe thats what many of the Erewin Shrine people think, who have been ripped off? Sure, i guess some of them scream and kick and they have a right to do so, even if it is futile.... but i would guess many of them just write it off as a learning experience.

Either way... its not a good thing and it damages the reputation of the country. Albiet in an incredibly tiny way. And its fucking wrong.

Still, these people remain complete fucking scum bags and i hope they all have children who grow up with infested bollocks. Take it on the chin or not - they are scum who generaly loath Ferangs and enjoy ripping them off.

Conversley, the ferang who gets ripped off is probably the same guy you would enjoy a beer with, chatting about the footy.

Ah. Whatever. Its all part of Thailand I guess. I have no inclination to do anything about it as i believe in keeping myself to myself. Just looking at it objectivley; i think its scummy and fucked up, thats all.

I am always suprised just how cheery and almost gloatfull these seasoned ex-pats are

Stan, glad to have your input since I was thinking it was just me. We'll see how smug they are when they are the fool everyone is laughing at. Throw in the expats who gloat, cheer and ridicule those whose visa strategy just got axed (happens on another message board).

Are the scammers innocent? No, of course not. But if silly people who let their greed rule their brain did not do that, then the scammers would be out of business. And I include myself in that "use their brain" bit -- I've made plenty of expensive "mistakes".

Not everyone that is scammed are greedy. The tourist told that the Grand Palace is closed, is being trusting. Maybe this will be their only trip to Bangkok and now they have missed seeing a national treasure, being given the run-around.

So you have a tour company in Bangkok, and you publicly call the TAT a corrupt entity. Probably not the smartest decision you could have made - even if you don't go public with your company name when you're accusing them of corruption.

As SuaDum said... I would think apathy and nepotism would be more prevalent than blatant corruption.

I agree with your "crusade" to a point, but being a farang working in the tourism industry in Thailand, be very careful who you accuse of what. Tourism is a very protected industry, (as you probably know), and it doesn't bode well for farangs involved in the industry to stir things up .

Remember that for a big town, Bangkok can also be a very "small" town. It has this strange ability to smell a fart on one side of town when you've actually dropped it on the other side.

Having worked in the tourism industry in BKK for the past 6 years, I have probably met you, know you or know of you.

Hi,

Stan, I assume you are drunk, but that is still no excuse for the personal attacks you posted. Way the fuck out of line.

I suggest I never see such crap from you again or you'll get banned here as well.

Oh, and sorry to the guys who didn't want to see this deleted, it sets a bad standard for the board which is why it is now gone.

Sanuk!

Edited by Guest