Has Thai360 done anything for you in 2007?

rickfarang

Its the end of the year, and looking at what I've spent on Christmas presents, holiday travel, other end-of-the-year expenses, and even looking forward to my annual taxes, I have to ask: "What have these people done for me in the last year?" And then I look at Thai360. This forum has been a source of good advice about everything about where to get a cold beer the night before elections to more important things like understanding my relationship with Thais. And its provided a sense of community and a lot of fun.

I have even met some guys who have been close friends for years on this forum. How can you put a price on that?

And what about Junglesoup's "Warning to everyone, HIV test came back positive... " thread? Man, there is a wake-up call if ever there was one!

That is why I have chosen this time of the year to click on the "DONATE" tab at the top of the screen (fourth tab from the right, at the top), and make a small donation. Its painless after all of the other mad holiday spending, and its one of the few gifts that makes me feel good.

One of the under-rated benefits of donating to Thai360 (and guys, please don't get upset about me letting this cat out of the bag)is that it gets you access to the Board Sponsors forum. I can't go into any detail here, but let's just say that since the Board Sponsor's forum is not accessible to the general public, it contains content that would not seem appropriate in the public forum. It is one of the bright spots on the internet.

In the Board Sponsors forum (which I believe does not even appear for those who are not logged in as sponsors -believe me, its really there :) ), KS recently published a summary of Thai 360's finances. I run a small website myself, and while I have to admit to envying the advertising related income that this board gets, its clear that for all of their constant hard work (and if you pay any attention at all, you would agree that KS and Jigger put in a enormous amount of time into making this board work as well as it does), KS and Jigger do not get nearly the compensation they would receive if they were to put this effort into a purely commercial enterprise. I consider this, in combination with the direct benefits derived from this forum, as sufficient justification for donating to the forum.

So, as I look back over the year, and consider all of the things that I have spend money one (yes, including bar tabs in Bangkok), a small donation to Thai360 seems the least I can do. How about you?

You Tease :D

IMHO Sponsor forum is somewhere where one can make more laid back postings without fear of being trolled, most sponsors either know each other IRL or know someone who can vouch for a sponsor.

When I first decided to put my hand in my pocket and contribute to this board, It was based on pleasure/baht and not the sponsors forum, Thai360 in its numerous guisses over the years has given me great pleasure and afforded me oportunities to meet like minded people in Thailand that otherwise I would have missed out on.

I appreciate KS approach of making sponsorship voluntary, when it was a "pay site" for certain content I was not interested in subscribing, but once it was opened up to the members I took more of an interest.

At the end of the day, if you can contribute to the upkeep of the board I am sure it is appreciatted, but at the end of the day it is the valuable input of the members that characterise a forum, that input is invaluable.

Happy 2008 and here's to another year of debate :cool:

Although I just made a contribution, I look forward to ZZZZ making another one on my behalf after the Oscars :)

American Gangster received several Golden Globe nominations, which should bode well for the Academy Awards. My only fear is that it is very similar in tone to last years winner, The Departed and may get the cold shoulder as a result.

If that is indeed the case, I'll be making another donation in ZZZZ'z honor. :doah:

I'd also like to put my opinion in here. Thai 360, nee Nana Plaza, and what ever it was before then, has given me insights, directions, friends, and all manner of help over the years.

As a periodic donator, I am happy to do so on an ongoing basis in the future.

So lads, hands in pockets, help KS and Jigger out.

BTW, there are other boards, but seemingly none that are as deep in the content department and as egalitarian and open as this board is.

Cheers

Coss

Archived