Bowl Games

Hugh_Hoy

New Years Day...too many games to watch :( Well, not too many...just that too many on at the same time. Three I want to watch but are on TV concurrently. Finally got it down to two games. Missouri is killing Arkansas in the 3rd period. So far, Michigan is staying even with Florida. Not sure if that will last long. Have a feeling Michigan won't be able to keep up with Florida.

HH

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep...didn't think Michigan could put that many points on the board. Had better feelings that they might be able to keep Tebow off the scoreboard better than they did. Echo the comment about Carr et. al. Class guy!

Right now just sorry that Hawaii couldn't do better against Georgia. Then again, Georgia is #4 and could be the real #1. Georgia is just dominating both sides of the line big time. A good game would've been USC-Georgia. Certainly better than the "Fainting Illini".

HH

So much parity and so many big schools with multiple losses has made the bowl games a bit of a downer for me. I recall the old days (lol...I sound like I was one of those guys wearing a raccoon fur coat in the '20s) when there were about 3 or 4 bowl games with teams with 11-1 records. The then Cotton, Orange, Sugar and Rose bowls had some very juicy match ups.

I could not agree with you more.... this corporate sponsership of not only bowl games , but stadiums etc. , just invited the BCS to rape the true meaning of what football is all about.

I still remember watching the Orange Bowl for the half time show and not the game.

Bada :beer: Bing

BB...Sooners vs. Trojans? Hmmmmm....Let's see what happens tonight in the Fiesta Bowl. Sooners have shown a tendency lately to fold in a big game. Wasn't that long ago that USC mauled them in a bowl game and last year in the Fiesta Bowl...LOL ! Found it sad and telling that these big time programs, while not necessaily involving scholar athletes, do prepare a few for the NFL. Florida has to leave a third of it's squad at home; Sooners, for the second time in a year leave one of it's secondary starters at home for the Fiesta Bowl for academic reasons (same guy); another Sooner gets busted at a Burlington Coat Factory store in the Phoenix mall for removing a security tag from a $85 jacket, stuffing it in a bag, and then walking out of the store with it (without payment). He got sent home. I can't figure out how these guys can remember how to put on their equipment. Somebody must dress em in the locker room.

So, what if the Sooners, Georgia, USC, and LSU all win their games. With a "Plus One", which two teams would play each other?

I also remember the days of only four bowls. In fact, the term "bowl" was coined from the shape of the stadium in Pasadena where "grand daddy" originated. Forget when games like the "Gator Bowl" started up. Late 50's? Now, the names of the Bowls are preceeded by the names of corporate sponsors. All about big money. Even the networks are following the advertising format of the extra long pro games. TD scored..commercials..kick off...commercials.

3 1/2 -4 hours to play a 60-minute game is bullshit. I remember going to Rams games at the coliseum in LA on Sunday afternoons with my dad in the 50's and 60's. $2.95 for an unreserved end zone seat. (First come, first choice..anyplace behind the endline or even the corners.) Games started punctually at 1:05 and ended between 3:35 and 3:40. NEVER, EVER longer.

Oh well...things never stay the same. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

HH

" So, what if the Sooners, Georgia, USC, and LSU all win their games. With a "Plus One", which two teams would play each other? "

Well I have already thrown out Georgia because they only played a media darling and not a BCS team. LSU won't get my vote either from the way they jumped into the #2 spot.

So that leaves Oklahoma and USC. I won't discount Ohio St either , they took care of business , sat and waited , slid up the ladder to #1. I look for the Buckeye's to win a close game over LSU.

I'll stand on Oklahoma and USC as the best this year , with USC winning it all :)

Now with that healthy Michigan team , once I recover from that hangover of their victory , they may get my vote to beat USC also... :drunk::grinyes::clown:

With that said , you going to the Rams games , my father had me in Tiger Stadium watching the pitiful MCK's in the 60's. While you were basking in the warm sunshine , I was freezing my ass off in blizzard conditions for the Nov / Dec games.. :elf:

Bada :beer: Bing

I wish there was some way to get the games covered by FOX over here in Thailand. It's great to see some of the games (ESPN) but leaves me wishing for more since I couldn't get the Georgia / Hawaii and now the W. Va / Oklamobilehoma games. Then again I consider it a blessing in disguise that the Cotton Bowl was not shown here. Based on what I read of that debacle my new TV would have probably had some sh!t thrown at it.

I'm not totally sure what to think about the championship game. I don't think OSU is all that great considering they played a terrible non-conference slate and a just slightly better conference schedule. However, they did lose only one game so they have as much right to be there as anybody else. It seemed like the further this season went along no team really wanted to be in the championship game.

LSU should have steamrolled just about everybody this year but their head coach makes up for talent advantages with some very questionable decision making. They lost two games and could have very easily lost at least two or three more.

I'm an SEC fan so I hope LSU can pull it out, but I think OSU has something to prove after last year's thumping. That combined with Les Miles on the sidelines for LSU makes me think the Buckeyes will win. With that said, find your nearest bookie and lay down your life savings on LSU to cover the spread.

I'll stand on Oklahoma and USC as the best this year , with USC winning it all :)

I think you got half of it right, but might need to reconsider Georgia in Oklahoma's spot. Based only on watching the game tracker over the internet I have to give the West Virginia players and coaches a lot of credit for putting the Rich Rodriguez stuff behind them and playing some great ball today. I wonder what they would give to have a "do over" on that Pitt game?

Archived