Hello guys

Hawk

Found this site yesterday. I arrived back home in the UK on the 27th of December. It was my first vist to Thailand, certainly not my last!

I enjoyed 6 weeks holiday, visting Bangkok, Ko Samui, Ko Pagn Nagn, Chaing Mai; all the usual tourist holiday stuff.

I havent enjoyed myself so much since I was at university. I visted quite by accident, my best friend was due to get married but his wife to be let him down.

He said to me come along, so I did. I enjoyed myself so much that I have even spent a couple of days looking for work in Thailand.

I am a doctor in the UK ( general practitioner ), from what I could gather there are very few farang doctors working in Thailand legally unless they are senior consultants working with HIV etc for NGO's

I will be posting my trip reports in the next week or so. Incidentally I have already booked 3 weeks in April so will drop in for a beer .

Hawk

Welcome aboard Hawk, it sounds to me like you may be in danger of developing 'Bangkok Blues'. The best treatment for this potentially expensive and emotionally dangerous condition, is a quick injection of of reality, followed by an ongoing education on the (frequently inexplicable) ways of FL's, BG's, GTG's and all things Thai, before you risk any further exposure. All the help you may require is available here, stick around, take the cure, and get the knowledge before your next trip, you won't regret it.

Got a few western MDs here. Do a google for the international hospitals. Don't think it's easy to get on here, but who knows.

p.s. Bamrungrad is the best known. You might also consider teaching at a Thai university medical faculty. The pay wouldn't be much by western standards though.

Isn't the medical field one of the 'closed' professions here in Thailand? Doctors, nurses, chiropractors, medical technicians (Xray-chemo-etc.)? If not I know a friend who is an MD that wants to move from Malay to Thailand methinks. :thumbup: :)

I don't think most doctors can work in Thailand, closed profession. And, if the woman one told of here was a GP in England how the hell can she not pass the exams here in Thailand? Language problems? I highly doubt the exams here are harder than the ones taken in the west, no? So what language are they given in? Thai obviously, but is English, Chinese, etc. options as well to take the exams?

Cent

I remember one board member a few years ago who went to a Japanese-American chiropractor in Bangkok. Also, a Nanapong board member is/was a shrink at Bamrungrad. Bamrungrad seems to have a fair number of western MDs.

And what about the missionary hospitals - e.g. Mission in Bangkok and McCormick in Chiang Mai?

Archived