Replacing I with name

Westbam

I use luk for a child stranger; or if lightly chastising a familiar child (e.g., Tam arai, luk?). Once again, polite.

Not chipping you in any way SD, but this got me thinking.

I know this is the usual way this word is transcribed into English - luk

Someone who had no idea, or was trying to learn, would pronounce it "luck".

But why isn't it written luuk as the "u" sounds is a "long" sound in that word.

Same as I have always thought "sanuk" should be written as "Sanook"... otherwise it reads as sanuk (rhyming with luck).

Translating Thai into Roman script is damn weird at times.

:dunno:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. But Snaky, did I do good for the rest? (mainly for the benefit for the rest of our readers...)

there is much more in this than phee, nong, noo and luk! see my post above, but even this covers just a small part....

but i agree with you for the use of those 4 words!

but noo i would really only use for small kids, not for teenagers!

Hi,

"but noo i would really only use for small kids, not for teenagers!"

My wife's son uses this to refer to himself when talking to me or his mother. And he's 16!

Then again, according to my wife his father still does the same when he talks to his mother. And that guy is in his forties :)

Sanuk!

My ladyfriend always says her name instead of "I", e.g "Lek go toilet" instead of "I go toilet". At first I thought she was just trying to be overly clear because I don't speak Thai and she doesn't speak English but she does it all the time, even when she speak to Thais. I asked a Thai friend about it and she said it was very polite to say ones name instead of I, however, I have never heard anyone else doing it. Just curious if any of you guys know anything about it.

BJ Blackowitz does it all the time.............maybe he Thai Lady :shocked:

there is much more in this than phee, nong, noo and luk! see my post above, but even this covers just a small part....

Yes of course. There are 26 personal pronouns in Thai, if I remember correctly. But those are the words one uses the most in daily (non-business) life.

but i agree with you for the use of those 4 words! but noo i would really only use for small kids, not for teenagers!

Ya, agreed (tho' I have heard teens use it, I wouldn't). Sorry that wasn't clear. When I say child, I mean ~12 and younger.

Cheers,

SD

"but noo i would really only use for small kids, not for teenagers!"

My wife's son uses this to refer to himself when talking to me or his mother. And he's 16!

Then again, according to my wife his father still does the same when he talks to his mother. And that guy is in his forties :)

yes that's strange. i also heard today addressing the 35 year old TG i was with as noo! but then TIT! :neener:

Archived