Anyone Else Want To Try and Lose Some Weight?

The_Munchmaster

Hi. My name is The Munchmaster and Iâ??m a fat bastard. :sad:

Every year I make the same resolutions, drink less, eat better and exercise more, the combination of which should cause me to lose weight and become more healthy. Usually they never get off the ground although very occasionally they work for a while before normality sets in again.

This year is going to be different though and I am more determined than ever before to make it happen. Iâ??m on the wrong side of my mid forties and as each year passes it seems to get more and more difficult to make significant life changes.

I weighed myself on New Years Day morning (actually it was the afternoon before I got up) and I was 124.4 kg. For American board members thatâ??s 274 lbs or 19 st 8 lb. This however didnâ??t come as any great surprise to me and wasnâ??t due to over indulging during the festive period (which I didn't do), as my weight has been around 121-125 kg for the past year.

Iâ??m 5â?? 9â?Â, my BMI is 40.16, which, according to BMI, makes me very obese, but anyone who knows me or has met me is quite surprised that Iâ??m as heavy as I actually am. I thought I would mention the BMI but wonâ??t again as itâ??s too arbitrary. My doctor said that I could never achieve my BMI and that if I did Iâ??d be underweight. My build is more prop forward than winger.

I have made changes already, e.g., I had my first alcoholic drink of 2008 last night (itâ??s been a very very long time since I went 5 days without a drink) but restricted myself to 2 glasses of red wine, I took my first exercise of 2008 yesterday evening, a 6.8K walk with Candyfloss, (walk rather than run as I donâ??t want to fuck my knees up) and I have made changes to my diet, although I donâ??t consider my diet to be my biggest problem. Too much alcohol and no exercise are, I believe, my worst enemies.

I havenâ??t set any specific targets and Iâ??m not going to take any severe measures such as giving up alcohol completely or going on a very strict diet, as regimes like that are, from experience, doomed to fail. Iâ??m just going to reduce the alcohol intake (hopefully significantly), start exercising a few times a week and start eating more fruit and veg, oily fish, etc.

Iâ??ve posted this on the Board because I think it might help me to persevere. Knowing that Iâ??ve told everyone that Iâ??m going to â??make it happenâ? might hopefully encourage me not to give up, at least not without a fight.

I will post my new weight every week (Tuesday), even if itâ??s higher than the week before, along with perhaps a few comments on what Iâ??ve done in that week to achieve the weight loss or cause the weight gain.

Any encouragement from board members will be much appreciated, as well as any criticism should I go off the rails. However any inane comments from Teddy will result in a kick in the balls.

And should anyone else wish to join me in this attempt to lose weight and improve their health then please feel free to post your stats and join in. :thumbup:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on you..

Will you hit the Gym?

I bought a treadmill about 3 months ago and have lost over six k so far ...

Combination of fast walking and jogging...was running around the streets but as you said the knees don't like it ..so i got the machine .

You have to keep at it ..good luck :thumbup:

Munchmaster - ill join you in this noble mission.

My names Stan Smith and im a fat fucker.

Im 5'11" and weigh 106 KG. This wouldnt be so bad if the weight was distributed more evenly through my entire body. Unfortunatley, owing to my beer loving lifestyle, i have one of those rather sad bodies in which my arms, legs and chest are fairly normal in size, leaving me with a belly which resembles a pregnant man.

Actualy, that would be a good analogy; picture a rather normal looking bird (in terms of body weight), who is say.... 8 months preganat. Thats me. A fat cunt. Beer belly city. Im sick of it. From the belly up, im not a bad looking fella. I dress well. I look healthy. But my beer belly is just a joke. Im tired of the birds 'patting it' when im out on the piss and im tired of bumping into people that i know only vaguely saying 'oh hello big man' when they have forgot my name.

Im sick of going to Bangkok to treat myself to a Paul Smith/Armani/Boss shirt and finding everything is 'slim fit'. Even the xxl shirts and these stores... built for 'large' people, not 'fat' people.

Im 34. Since the age of say, 18 i have been a massive, massive beer drinker. Spirits i only usualy drink when im out on the town, which is usualy just once a week. My main problem is beer. I start work on my laptop about 5pm usualy and begin to wind down aroun 11pm. From 5 to 11 ill slowly sup 5 or 6 cans of singha and then from 11 to around 3, ill skull another 5 - 10. Every night. Every year. For fucking years!! I find it impposible to get drunk from beer and usualy just get 'tired drunk' after my limit, which could be as many as 20 cans on an off day. I would say on average, 12 a day.

Just before Christmas, i skulled an incredible 26 cans of singha between the hours of 3pm and 3am. That was an all time low for me.... drinking that amount at home. I dont even have the excuse that i was at a party with the lads. This was just at home, watching telly and pottering around the house.

Couple that with complete lack of excercise, and you have a beer belly to be proud of.

I also eat like a wanker. To many sandwiches - prolly half a loaf of bread a day on ham/tuna/etc sandwhiches.

Just last night, i cooked a beefburger at 1am. Its shit like this that i need to stop.

Ive been trying, sometimes. I realy have. I upgraded my rather sad golf set and went and brought new kit; new bag, clubs, clothes, shoes.... i vowed to do 18 holes of golf a day at my local course which does not have buggies, thus you are forced to walk. I let myself down and managed 3 rounds of 9 holes each week for a month and now, i havent played for a month.

I brough a mountain bike in November. Used it once. Found it incredibly boring. Now it sits under the stairs, much to the ammusment of my GF who contstaly mentiones 'park already!'.

My goal here is simple;

Try and get up a little earlier and eat a small, normal breakfast. Followed by Thai food (home cooked by GF) around 5pm. No food after 5pm.

Then, ill ban the beer during weekdays and drink white wine and soda only.

Tommorow, ill do 18 holes if it kills me. I need to re-focus the reasons why i want to take up golf again.... 8km walking in this heat per day is good excerise. I should see it as excerise only. The problem is, i used to be an ok golfer.... playing of 16, which is steady golf. I have only played a few times a year over the last 4 years and now, when i play and find myself treble bogey on each hole, i get angry, frustrated, and walk of the course half way through.

I may even give the mountain bike a go. Maybe if i buy an ipod? Something to listen to while im biking around the country lanes around here would make it more interesting.

Ok Munch, im with you pal. Whats the best way to do this? Maybe ill post again in 3 days with an update of 'what i did' on Monday, Tuesday, Weds?

Good on you Stan. :thumbup:

I don't have the beer belly, my excess is spread all over, which is probably why people don't think I'm as heavy as I am. :surprised:

I also did the mountain bike thing. Bought it in January 2006. I took it out three times that month and travelled 26 km. It hasn't moved since! :shakehead Mind you Dubai is definitely bike unfriendly. :thumbdown:

I think a progress post once a week (same day every week) is sufficient, but up to you. If discussing it helps then update as often as you want. I'll be posting tomorrow as that will be exactly one week since I started.

Good luck. It'll be worth it. :)

April I was 115kgs, got down to 102 just before Christmas period, but I've had a great Christmas, so back up to 105kgs, aiming for 92 kgs, which I am assured will result in ladies in Nana and Cowboy calling me a handsome man!

I lost the previous weight by drinking less beer (but more whiskey, on ice) NO or minimal rice, potatoes etc, more meat, big breakfast small dinner and no exercise. Dieting alone seemed to be good for a 13 kg loss over 6 months.

I have thought about taking up whisky as a replacment for beer.... my main worry however is developing a taste for it (which im sure i would) and find myself with a problem.

I can just see it now; Starting off with a few glasses per night.... then aquiring a taste for it.... then half a bottle, a bottle....

Thats too risky for me. If i begin to cane whisky the way i cane beer, i would have a problem.

Well done though on your loss and hey, who cares about a few pounds over Christmas? Only natural.

Archived