Anyone Else Want To Try and Lose Some Weight?

The_Munchmaster

I am in my third week now:

Only healthy foods, no sugar, no alcohol; a slight calorie deficit; 3 times jogging, 3 times weight training a week.

My scale tells me that I've lost only one pound, BUT my waist line got a little bit shorter and body fat went down by 2%.

That's great, because it means that I lost fat and gained muscles at the same time.

:bangit:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A simple three day per week full body program.

Only free weights (or cable for lats and triceps).

Basic exercises - 1 set, 12 repeats (and it only takes 35 min.):

Barbell squats

Dumbbell lunges

Dumbbell bench press

Dumbbell flys

e.g.

Which means 2 expercises per muscle group. See details at Dailyburn.com

I think the program is not perfect, because it does not include deadlifts, which are said to be the most important/rewarding of all exercises, closely followed by squats and bench press. BUT deadlifts are also said to be very dangerous for your back if not done perfectly.

----

After four weeks I will take a personal trainer for to learn deadlifts, work on my squats, e.g. and I will change to a program which is said to be the most rewarding workout for beginners/intermediates (it's extremely famous at Germany's biggest bodybuilding board and in the US as well):

Stuart McRobert: Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great.

McRobert's program sounds great - no gimmicks, no 'secret' exercises, just the basics and steel. :bangit:

- Benchpress

- Rows

- Squats

- Deadlift

- Chins

- Military Press

PS: Disclaimer, I do not look like a body builder at all. In a previous gym the trainer told me that I am too weak for to work with free weights. :crazy:

That is of course complete BS, I just need to be careful to do the exercises perfectly and I won't go too the max in the upcoming months.

When I train in the free weights area in my current gym (it's a kind of yuppie gym) I am always the the guy with the lest muscles and the biggest belly. :content:

Anyway I find weight training machines extremely boring and unsatisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks and no sweets, that is the best part so far. Exercise, I've been getting enough. Veggies, it comes and goes, when i hit the farmers market it works out the best. My goal to reduce the carbs is working. I still eat them but nothing like before. now I eat them like the serving label on the box says. I don't know if I am lighter but I must be.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lazyphil

sounds good, keep up the good work. deadlifts are best weightlifting movement from what i hear, i dont do as yet because of the risks you say regarding back injurys if done wrong and i'm likely too :banghead:

my 3 day split currently is (i change every 4 months or so)

squat, dumbell fly, lat pulldown, dips

lunges, dumbell shoulder press, weighted hyperextention, bicep curl

dumbell snatch,chin ups, plate press, hanging leg raise

lots of running, dont forget running, *no* cardio workout gets close to running

I've lost 10 kilos in five months but also put on some muscle weight. I met some people I haven't in a couple years and got several comments about looking athletic. I've lost 4 inches on my waist and have a lot more energy than before.

I do 3 sets of 6 reps and try to add weight every two weeks whether I can do all 6 reps or not. I've now switched to 4 sets of 6 reps and 1 additional set of single rep at max weight. I'll switch routines every 8 weeks. I exercise complementary muscle groups. Plus I jog 3 miles at a 12-minute mile pace, 3-5 times a week. For core strengthening, I do bicycle crunches when I wake up in the morning and sometimes before I go to bed.

My exercises in order of performing them.

Day 1 - Back and Biceps: Lat pulldowns, reverse lat pulldowns, assisted chinups, seated rows, bent over rows, curls with a bar, dumbell curls

Day 2 - Chest and Triceps: Bench, incline bench, decline bench, dips, 2 types of tricep exercises, flys

Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders: Squats, leg extensions, military press, "Arnold" press, lat raises.

I've talked to a dozen people at the gym with great bodies. None of them recommend doing more than 8 reps to build strength.

Great and good on you!!!

I do a 20 ~ 30 min workout on the machines in the gym, only one rep and then swim laps for 30 ~ 60 min.

Just trying to keep the gut under control.

Weight stays around 80 Kg. I was down to 75 Kg but after one month in the USA it went up. Mai pen lai.

Archived