$US down 1.5% against baht this year...only 9 days into the year!

Stickman

Gawguy, while I feel your pain virtually, I am a "lost generation" guy; here's an article but here they are calling me a Gen Xer and that's not right either (and NONE of their examples are Gen X, but "lost gen"). We watched while the boomers fucked it all up, but had no power to stop it, cuz were were such a minority.

I'm too nice to say "som nam na" but I also believe that the "regular prole" owing stocks is responsible for the mess that is the US economy as it is totally against their best interest as worker bees.

None of this is gonna help you, and I am truly sorry. The only advice I can say is that "if stock brokers are so smart, why are the working for your commission rather than being independently wealthy?"

Regards,

SD -- who only invests in tangibles

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all you yanks seem to be pretty pessimistic about the usd and us economy!

but: at the current exchange rates, the usd is significantly undervalued. in terms of purchasing power parity around 20% to the Euro as a example.

the trade balance deficit of US is decreasing which takes some pressure from the currency.

beside the subprime problem, the economy still shows strong fundamentals. us exports are growing in particular to emerging markets.

so i would not be surprised if the usd would slightly strengthen during 2008...

Thanks for the ray of sunshine:) I have read that a lot will have to do with the up coming U.S. election, and who wins, and what path they take to economic recovery. I have also read that a lot may lay on China "floating" it's currency...not sure who really manipulates all this shit, but the human hand does seem to play a part.

Suadam may have touched on something with the idea of the average guy owning stocks...drives up the middle class/demand for higher end goods, increased standard of living beyond wages earned/means...did read a paper about the .com mess, how it was all pretty much a pyramid scam from the start, too many of the "wrong kind of people" got too wealthy too fast, and that was just plain bad, especially in certain areas.

back during the IT boom, i was getting 19bht to the AUD. The OZ economy had been written off as an "old Economy" and "commodities were a thing of the past" as everyone knew that IT was the only way to put food on the table. I was facing unemployment.

6 years on, my salary has tripled (I am in minerals), my pension fund has more than tripled, my latest house valuation is up 50% on what it was 3 years ago, and the rental return on my house is up 50% compared with 2 years ago. Added to this the AUD has lifted from 19bht to 28/9bht.

You have to take the good with the bad, for i know the good times will correct themselves in a couple of years, the AUD will sink, my house will lose value, my pension fund will correct and the labour market will rationalise. Right now i am making hay while the sun shines. Things could be worse, US economy could end up like Brazil. But at least the girls there take it up the ass.

No, not working on a column...just curious as I play the foreign exchange markets and am interested in what is happening on the ground.

That's why you asked the same question on the Pattaya Secrets board, is it? :smirk:

"Just curious as I play the foreign markets", my arse!

How does asking about things like this: "What I am most interested in are those guys retired here. My feeling is that it must bow be at the point when some guys are hurting, and for sure, there must be some belt tightening going on."

... affect your forex positions? As opposed to interest rates, performance of economies? How on earth does knowing about how a few expats are 'hurting' help you in this regard? :dunno:

I'm with KS's wry comment. Lately I've noticed a few things said on this board by others coincidentally appearing in your columns. Saves you going out and doing the legwork, eh? :)

Good column this week btw. Definitely doing your own, er, 'legwork' there. :) :thumbup:

I do not take anything off any boards to put in the column. If I did, the column would be about 20 times longer than it was.

Of course some things talked about on some boards will also be covered in my column, but donâ??t take that to mean that I copy from the boards. I donâ??t.

You also need to factor in that bar owners will send out emails to various people with info of promotions going on in their bars â?? so you get similar information on various sites and message boards.

If you read my column, you would know that I wrote about the falling USD a number of months ago â?? and have no reason to over it unless something really crazy happens.

Hope this helps explain!

Archived