ARABS AND INDIANS.. don't they just love us! A story of petty racism i

djkaveman

I don't think this attitude is purely racial. You should just make them understand that you are from Europe. Bring your Belgian passport, speak to them in Belgian.

Oh well, now I am beginning to see your problem. No one in Thailand has any idea of where Belgium is. Could well be a part of India. Tough luck. Still, I am sure that if they understand that you are from Europe you will have no problem so it is more a question of culture.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this attitude is purely racial. You should just make them understand that you are from Europe. Bring your Belgian passport, speak to them in Belgian.

I know you're trying to help Sargon2 but unfortunately making a big fuss at the door does not guarantee a good evening.

Speaking thai is definitely not the solution. My wife's relatives (thai) have even more problems than you have in entering farang bars (if I am not with them). Teaming up with a European looking European (if there is such a thing in these days), not necessarily from the Belgian Embassy, should do the trick.

djkaveman,

What's the problem? I do not really see the problem. Just go to another bar, there are plenty of them in BKK. Besides this I think that NanaPlaza sucks. If bars are your thing then head to SoiCowboy or Ratchada.

B.t.w.: it is not a NEW trend. It is already for years that some bars in NP (as well as SC) have a door policy, which they call "members only".

I do not really understand why they always have to mention Arab's and Indians in one breath. Yes, some North-Indians have the looks of Arabs and middle-easterners. But in fact we are talking about completely different people with regards to culture, religion and so on. It always seems to me that Arabs look down upon Indians because most Indians are not Muslim but Hindu/Buddhist. Not to mention the bloody events in history.

Archived