Favourite Classical Music

MooNoi

I have always liked classical music, but only really started to get into it in a big way and collect / buy it for about the last 18 months or so. :tophat:

Just wondering if anyone else out there likes classical music, and who are some of the composers and/or pieces that you like? (Just looking for some inspiration!) :)

At the moment, the iPod has the following on high rotation:

1. Faure's Requiem

2. Claire De Lune by Debussy

3. Vaughan Williams (Particularly Fantasia On A

Theme by Thomas Tallis)

4. Khachaturian

5. Adagio for Strings by Barber

6. Erik Satie (Unbelievably soothing music!)

7. Beethoven's "Arch-Duke" Suites

8. Albinoni

9. Borodin

10. Paganini

11. Gabrielli

12. Byrd

Anyone got any classical pieces they really love?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moo,

I have an enormous classical collection that I have put together over the past 10 years or so. I have bought classical music over the past 25 years but I didn't really know what I was buying.

If I wanted Mahler's 6th Symphony for instance, I used to pitch up at HMV or Virgin and buy the CD with the nicest cover. The secret is to know the conductors, musicians and orchestras that are best suited to the particular piece of music. I ended up, in many cases, buying better versions of stuff of music I already had.

For instance, in the case of Mahler, I prefer Claudio Abbado with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra but some may prefer Pierre Boulez with the Vienna Philharmonic.

I would highly recommend that you do a bit of reading so you can work out which versions are the best. The book below is a good start:

512eAlbg5HL._SS500_.jpg

I will have a think later tonight and put together a list of recommendations for you, based on my interpretation of the kind of stuff I think you would like. For instance if you like Satie, I would recommend you listen to Chopin's Nocturnes.

Stuff that immediately springs to mind is:

Mahler's Symphonies, particularly 5 and 6,

DvoÅ?ák's Cello Concerto,

Ravel's Orchestral Works, if you like Debussy you will love Ravel

Everything Beethoven ever did

Bruckner's Symphonies

FARK ME, TEDDY!! :shocked:

Judging by what Munch says about you I would never have picked you for a "culture vulture!"

Ha ha!

Seriously... awesome reply. Appreciate it! :bow:

I was "exposed" to classical music at a really young age - my Mum was a concert pianist with various symphony and chamber orchestras here in Australia - and she had me learning piano from when I was 2 years old.

As I said, I've always liked it, but just in the last couple of years start to really appreciate it - there's a big difference.

I will definitely check out Chopin's Nocturnes. I love Satie, so if it's similar I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again, Teddy! :beer:

Archived