Favourite Classical Music

MooNoi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Moo, better late than never, here are a few more recommendations:

Max Bruch, Violin Concerto No. 1 & Scottish Fantasy for violin and orchestra - make sure you get the Jascha Heifetz version with the New Symphony Orchestra of London on RCA Victor (both on one Disc (I will lend this to Munchie tomorrow, he might like the Scottish tunes)

Sibelius, Karelia Suite & Finlandia - I've got the Vladimir Ashkenazy version, cracking, inspiring stuff

Shostakovich, Violin Concerto No.1, get the Vengerov/Rostropovich with London Symphony Orchestra version on Teldec. Beautiful music.

Leos Janacek, String Quartets, suggest you get the Talich Quartet recording.

Edward Elgar, Enigma Variations, get the Adrian Boult with the London Philharmonic, you also get Pomp and Circumstance Marches thrown in. You could become an honoury pom if you get into this.

Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade. I've got the Sir Charles Mackerras with the London Symphony Orchestra version. Saw this performed by the New York Symphont Orchestra in Central Park, one of my favourites.

Rachmaninov, Cello Sonata, got to be the Emanuel Ax and Yo-Yo Ma version. Stunningly beautiful music.

There you go, try some of those and I will post a few more sometime soon. :thumbup:

....Max Bruch, Violin Concerto No. 1 & Scottish Fantasy for violin and orchestra - make sure you get the Jascha Heifetz version with the New Symphony Orchestra of London on RCA Victor (both on one Disc (I will lend this to Munchie tomorrow, he might like the Scottish tunes)....

He just did. :surprised:

From Fawlty Towers

Basil has been listening to classical music in the office instead of typing the lunch menu

Sybil Fawlty: "If you hadn't been sitting around all morning listening to that racket, you could have been finished by now."

Basil Fawlty: "That racket?" "That was Brahms!" [shouts] "Brahms's third racket!"

Archived