khon Kaen

jack_schist

Chaps,

looks like i will be in Khon Kaen for few days at the end of the month. I am thinking of staying at the Charoen Thani or the Sofitel. I will be visiting friends but i envisage that i will have some time to myself late at night or early evenings.

can anyone suggest some good places to go for a drink and posssibly find some comely young ladies. I think i will be there for about 4 days. also does anyone know what time bars close at night time?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sofitel is a real nice hotel and for a 5 star joint it is not very expensive. I stayed there for many weeks a few years ago. There are some bars over the road from the Sofitel but not much action. There is a pub where the uni girls go of an evening - sorry the only directions I can give are look for the small lake after crossing the railway line and it is next to / over the lake. Worth a look see I reckon. There is also the disco in the basement of the Sofitel - next to the knock shop! - that goes on till all hours.

Cheers,

Mark

Khon Kaen is a nice town. I could easily live there. The lake area is very nice, good restaurants surround it, one in particular is called the New Zealand Coffee Shop or similar? They have amusement areas around it, and a very funny little open area which they use to teach modern competition dancing!

The disco area, a long road, actually starts at the roundabout, just past the Sofitel, which is a great hotel.

The Uni is a bit out of town, but trying hard to do well.

CTO

Basement of the Sofitel: Club called "Cleo's". It's a hostess bar set up with a dance floor. Went in there one night. As I entered, there were maybe 9 young ladies dressed in cocktail dresses standing in line for your approval. There were many more on the premises. Big club, but few customers. Japanese business men came into the club soon after I did. A group of about 6. Quickly they ordered up the girls to a VIP room. This was around 9-9:30 p.m. STill...many more girls available. Low pressure. Pay by the 45 minute interval or so. Not expensive. Was told 2000 baht all in at my room upstairs. I asked "how long". Was told "however long as you take". Obviously, could be five minutes or five hours ! LOL. Anyway, probably the nicest hotel I ever stayed in for 1750 baht (including the best breakfast buffet I've had at a restaurant--including Las Vegas). Free transport to and from hotel.

There is a khon kaen discussion board that is monger friendly and has had some good directions for "sanuk". Forget the name. Google around.

HH

Yep it is a nice chilled out place where I could hang out for a while.

Some things to do around KK:

Snake Village - Ban Khok Sa-Nga. I am not normally into shows but they put on a very entertaining snake show. 30 mins north of KK.

Khmer Ruin - Prasat Peuay Noi. Small but worth a look see. Restored in great detail i.e. next to the wall is a sign "Wall". Next to the lake is a sign "Lake". I would have been completely lost without these signs. I am surprised they didn't have a sign next to the sign - "Sign"! 45 mins south of KK.

Whilst on the road keep an eye open for roadside restaurants with a smokey BBQ. They do a bloody good BBQ'ed duck is this area.

Cheers,

Mark

I think the board you are refering to is imaginatively called:

www.khonkaen.com

I shall endevour to have a good look around and will report back on my findings.

Yep. That's the site. It's owned, I believe by an Aussie. Ross and John Dunston have been around the LOS for quite a while. Never came across Ross except for his board. But I know John from another board and he might well be on Thai 360.

HH

Archived