Just another jumper

fool

From The Nation Monday 14th Jan 2008

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30062183

American falls to death from 18th floor of Condo building

An American man fell to his death from his room on the 18th floor of a Bangkok condominium building Monday afternoon, police said.

The naked body of Dhoan Montierth was found near the swimming pool of Pantip Court on Sathorn 1 in Bangkok's Sathorn district at 2 pm.

A security officer of the building told police that he was alerted by the man's girlfriend that he was threatening to jump down from the balcony of his room.

The security officer rushed to the room only to find that the American had already fallen.

Police took the man's girlfriend to the Thung Song Hong police station for questioning.

The Nation

Why do they jump?

Life back home may not be as unique as it in some Asian countries but there is always the next trip to look forward to.

I think that these guys are prone to commit suicide (don't want to jump to any unwarranted conclusions) back in their own countries not just because it is in Thailand. Or do you guys think that the attraction of the place (Thailand) is so huge it forces these guys to their sad demise by jumping.

Why do they jump?

Probably for a number of reasons but I think usually when the money runs out and they discover Nok really doesn't love them and never did.

Still very sad.......assuming of cause he did jump... :hmmm:

A guy who worked for me committed suicide many years ago. Single gun shot to the head one morning. I'd given him a mild ass-chewing the day before. I was ordered to undergo "counseling". (I think it was basically a "mental checkup" to see if I was experiencing any guilt; educate me on the act of suicide from a mental perspective.) Learned a lot about suicide, but most importantly there are multiple catalysts which activate the impulse; very, very rarely is one event or issue the basis for taking one's own life. Had to be a lot more than "Nok" and "money", I'm sure.

HH

A guy who worked for me committed suicide many years ago. Single gun shot to the head one morning. I'd given him a mild ass-chewing the day before. I was ordered to undergo "counseling". (I think it was basically a "mental checkup" to see if I was experiencing any guilt; educate me on the act of suicide from a mental perspective.) Learned a lot about suicide, but most importantly there are multiple catalysts which activate the impulse; very, very rarely is one event or issue the basis for taking one's own life. Had to be a lot more than "Nok" and "money", I'm sure.

HH

Good post Hugh, I agree suicide is usually caused by a number of factors.

I worked with two guys who took the "Australian" way out, the hose pipe from the exhaust to the car window, and both had chosen to accept a large redundancy payment to "retire" early. Both had used the money to start businesses that were relatively unsuccessful which led to marital problems.

Could the guys who kill themselves here find that even in paradise, surrounded by willing women, their self esteem is still low?

Frankly, I think a lot of us who venture into this life are a bit fucked up to start, surely no "normal" person travels around the world to bang whores and drink heavily. Add to the craziness of LOS, passed issues and a failed venture and the mix is right for an unstable person to lose it in.

Archived