Ian Hunter in Thailand Maybe

Mekong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Hunter_%28singer%29

i'm surprised no-ne has mentioned Mott The Hoople,one of the best live bands of their era.

a pity they went too pop orientated after hitting the big time.

they were the 1st rock band to appear on Broadway,supported by Queen.

i had tickets to see them with Queen but the show was cancelled due to Hunters breakdown.

he wrote an interesting diary describing an American tour in the 70's which i read as a teenager.

and the early Mott live albums show them as a very tight band with musical talent.

funnily enough i read the story of Hunter and MTH last Year and a great book.

CTO...........you ever heard 'All The Young Dudes'?.

it was the anthem of the young in it's Day.

one of the best bands who got together and recorded.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian Hunter's most often thought of as a down-to-earth no-frills rocker, and many of his upbeat songs are classics ('All the Way From Memphis', 'Once Bitten Twice Shy', 'Roll Away the Stone', 'Golden Age of Rock and Roll', 'Cleveland Rocks', 'All of the Good Ones are Taken', 'Just Another Night', 'Bastard').

But his less-often mentioned piano ballads are magical too: poignant, sensitive and beautifully melodic. 'Irene Wilde' (brings a tear to my eye every time), 'Boy', 'I Wish I Was Your Mother', 'Saturday Gigs' (his farewell song to fans when Mott the Hoople split), 'Little Star', and (another full-on tear-jerker) the unbelievably moving 'Ships', the song he wrote for his estranged father (covered, alarmingly, and craply, by Barry Mannilow). And, perhaps best of all, the song he wrote for Mick Ronson, 'Michael Picasso', is impossibly sad, a perfect tribute to a great musician and a lovely guy. "And we all cry, in a room full of flowers, on a windy day..." :rip:

Yup, Ian Hunter's one of my all-time favourites. :bow: F*ck me, if he were to play in BKK/Pattaya, I'd fly over from Japan to see it. :up:

jack :help:

Anyone know the connection between him and Freddie?

I watched the tribute video he did? Were they a bit like SD & DS........very good friends ;)

Trivia fact, Mott the Hoople are the only band that Queen have ever supported, 1974 tour of the States, in 1975 Queen released the single "Now I'm here" which includes the line, "Down in the City, Just the Hoople and Me" a referance to that tour.

Anyone know the connection between him and Freddie?

I watched the tribute video he did? Were they a bit like SD & DS........very good friends ;)

Trivia fact' date=' Mott the Hoople are the only band that Queen have ever supported, 1974 tour of the States, in 1975 Queen released the single "Now I'm here" which includes the line, "Down in the City, Just the Hoople and Me" a referance to that tour.

[/quote']

Thanks for that. I loved Freddie.....err not in a gay way ok. I still remember being in Europe not long after he died. There seemed to be this feeling of gloom and everywhere you went you could still see tributes to him. One of the greatest performers ever IMHO.

'Saturday Gigs' (his farewell song to fans when Mott the Hoople split.

i've still got my vinyl single of that one,great song and one which describes Mott's career to a t.

my fave studio album has got to be 'All The Young Dudes'.a good version of 'Sweet Jane' which leads me to amother thread.

Did he do a song "All American Alien Boy"?

Yup, title track off his excellent, Dylanesque second solo album, mate, and a good 'un too. :up:

(Backing vocals on a couple of (very good) tracks off which album, released in 1976, are provided by Queen (just before their own career took off: Hunter championed them), trivia fans. Hence the tour connection that Mekong mentioned above. :hmmm: )

Further on the trivia front, Hunter also produced punk band The Vibrators, I recall (who were shite, but that's another story). :clown: I had a single of theirs called 'Baby Baby'. Sounded exactly like Mott the Hoople. :o

jack :help:

• 1 month later...
For all you young dudes the other side of memphis, plans are afoot to bring Ian Hunter (Mott the Hoople) over to Thailand in September.

I should know more by mid March but it is looking promising so far!

would be great to see him in Thailand :thumbup:

Archived