Friecats Bar in Patpong ripoff

Stickman

By any chance would this description fit "Firecat".

It is on a upper level a long flight of narow stairs, 3/4 of the way up if has a small landing that has a doorway to the left with change rooms and washrooms. Any chance ? That's what the place that I had a big problem in looked like.

quote:

As the long standing advice goes, stick with the King's Group of bars in Patpong.

All well and fine, Stickman, but wasn't I reading somewhere recently about a ripoff at Camelot Castle, involving a couple of regulars, big drinkers, each paying the same bill without the other's knowledge? And this was, if memory serves, instigated by the mamasan, wasn't it? So, how is the integrity of King's Group these days, with a story like that circulating? BTW, I never would have believed it.... but I have to, considering the source!!

Sarisin, what's Khun Sanuk's site URL, please?

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Savittre ]

By any chance would this description fit "Firecat".

Mine was in Patong, soi sea dragon.

Since we are now "friendly" with the new owners of the bar, I don't think it would be a good idea to mention the name here.

( but it was very near the mama bar)

I have noticed (over the years) in some bars a few lady drinks get put in the cup, but usually the tip off is some bg giving you the raised glass salute.

sometimes they will say "you said it is ok" or ur idea, but maybe they "not speak ur language well" mis understand, ect. make u feel like the bad guy, ect.

could just be a mis understanding, but hard to say for sure. happens enough to make the odds in favor of a slight rip off.

for the most part, big stuff for them, just a pain for us.

I think patpong bars ( have not gone there for a looooong time though) is more likely to pull stuff, as ( agin my own feeling) they get more tourists/boozers and the staff are more hardcore and figure they will get away with it.

In phuket ( beer bars) if someone thinks they are getting gyped, not much the bar ppl can do about it as it is easy for the "gypee" to just walk off.

In Patpong, the unlucky persons avenues of escape are limited, they feel ( first timers?) imtimidated, lost, hopless, ect.

Calling their bluff by asking for/calling the tourist police should work most of the time.

somehow, I think the ripoffs are more of a sport/face thing than actually getting the money.

Thais ( most asians IMHO) seem to delite in putting down westerners. just pay attention to what is said about behind ur back if they don't think you understand.

still, having said all this, LOS is still tops in my book.

quote:

Thais ( most asians IMHO) seem to delite in putting down westerners. just pay attention to what is said about behind ur back if they don't think you understand.

With all respect, pasathai, I dunno about that... I've been in Taiwan a while, and sure there are Taiwanese like that here, and even some who base this "we're smarter, harder working, smell less, have superior food etc., etc." on racism- even American born Chinese will say that. But I tend to think they are a small minority. Most are OK, they do have an inferiority complex, too, (I know it's wierd, to have this superiority/inferiority complex all rolled into one, but that's how it is) so show them you respect them and you'll be treated in kind. Just my $0.02.

But, I wonder if you're talking about Thai people generally in your post, or Thai sex workers?

Savittre:

thanks for the feedback:

I think Taiwan may be unique in that respect.

I have delt with a few ppl from Taiwan. ( in business) they do seem more interested in making a good deal ( both parties come out ok)

But about what I overhear. It mostly is bar talk.

here ( in USA) I have to deal with ppl from Korea ( not that I am down on koreans), but I have had several bad dealing with them. ( mostly at first) but after that, I just let them think they are in control of the dealings, I find I make out very well

( financally). I guess I just have to play the game.

also, ( maybe just someting I notice) is when a deal is done. ( or so I think) they ( thais, koreans, ( and some chinese I have delt with) seem to want some other "perk" included.

anything from a free pen, to an expensive electronic item. Probably just part of the way they do business, but really buggs me.

I feel once the deal is done, move on.

It would really be fun to meet up and discuss some of this stuff in person (with any interested ppl). I think we have a lot of stuff to share that won't make it to a public forum like this.

Archived