Nick Nostitz, photographer

kamui

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's a fabulous photographer and a fabulous person. He has a better understanding of life in Thailand than any foreigner I've met...

IMO, his persona on this board was anything but "fabulous". He came off as an arrogant prat who disparaged those who didn't agree with him time and time again. He and his "dark side" are not missed by me. Most of his photos that I've seen are "cliche" in the sense that many have done the same in other venues. The only difference was that the photos were taken in Thailand. Not saying that his photos are bad; just that they aren't that exceptional in terms of topic or otherwise.

HH

Nick's a fabulous photographer and a fabulous person. He has a better understanding of life in Thailand than any foreigner I've met...

IMO' date=' his persona on this board was anything but "fabulous". He came off as an arrogant prat who disparaged those who didn't agree with him time and time again. He and his "dark side" are not missed by me. Most of his photos that I've seen are "cliche" in the sense that many have done the same in other venues. The only difference was that the photos were taken in Thailand. Not saying that his photos are bad; just that they aren't that exceptional in terms of topic or otherwise.

HH

[/quote']

First I did not mention the board deliberately, since this has not much to do with him as a photographer.

Second, you miss the point completely that his photographs are "cliche".

Nick is working in the field of documentary photography/ picture journalism which has some distinct rules and limitations, which he has to follow to a certain extent, since otherwise he wouldn't get any jobs nor (if it would become too 'artsy') would his wold not be be regarded as an documentary work about LOS.

Also within the frame of documentary photography there are nearly no "new" photographs anymore in regard to the idea that someone creates an absolute new image which has never been seen before. Trying to do this is nearly impossible nowadays (the photographers Henri Cartier Bresson or Robert Frank come to my mind who actually invented new images several decades ago from the 1930s to the 50s/60s). BUT in regard to LOS Nick is telling so far untold stories from a perspective which shows that Nick is much more involved in certain aspects of the Thai society than most (all?) other Farang photographers working in/about LOS.

By the way, do you actually know his book about Patpong in which he created a very personal account about the P4P scene?

Guest lazyphil

i do think stickmans usage of the word 'fabulous person'was a bit, er, cringe inducing, for nick himself!. a good bloke more like. stickmans sentiment was all good though!

HH, the thing i found with him is that i could get into debates and at the end of it have a joke or two, no doubt he was intense!.....me and my mrs went to his house in bkk and i saw a whole bunch of amazing pictures he took, some really bizarre!....his online persona was quite aggressive (and possibly arrogant to some!!) but passionate and knowledgable and always engaging!

Archived