TOT Blocking Outgoing Email

rickfarang

I had been banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out why I can't sent email from my computer. Each time I tried to send email, I got an error message: "An operation on the server timed out..."

This does not affect web browser based email like Hotmail, Yahoo, Netscape, Gmail, etc., only POP email which is the most common way for email clients like Entourage, Thunderbird, Eudora, Pegasus, and Outlook.

It turns out that to reduce spam, TOT is now blocking port 25, which is the default port for sending email (SMTP).

I Googled "TOT port 25" and found that some people were able to send thier email by using port 587, 465 (SMTPS), or port 2525 (SMTPS).

Others had success using TOT's SMTP servers: smtp.totisp.net and smtp-adsl.totonline.net

It was reported that smtp.totisp.net sometimes receives email but does not forward it because TOT is having problems with its servers. I tested both of these SMTP servers from my computer in Udon Thani, and they seem to work ok.

Proceed with caution. Good luck to all TOT customers. Brick wall

It was nice of TOT to warn us that they were going to do this. :evil:

I found that I can send SMTP via my POP-enabled gmail account this may be the safest alternative for those who have it available.

Archived