A Couple of Good Programs For Fixing PC Ailments

Hugh_Hoy

I briefly posted about my woes acquired after downloading a "free" YouTube ripper from the net. After a bit of research, I embarked on a shopping trip to Best Buy, Staples,and Office Depot and collected a total of three programs said to remove viruses, adware, and improve PC peformance. I ended up only having to use two. I highly recommend them. They are:

Spyware Doctor: This program found and removed all sorts of stuff I didn't know I had collected and was not found by McAfee: Trojans, rootkits, adware, and cookies. The company does daily updates to the program from its server. Very user friendly and extremely effective. Immediately stopped the crap that would pop up every 30 seconds causing untold annoyance.

Avanquest Professional System Care: Has several programs within a "suite", including virus and spyware protection, firewall, "one-step maintenance (defrag and compaction) and diagnostics and system restore.

Both are extremely user-friendly for those of us who aren't puter "geeks". Well-worth the investment of about $100 total for both. What I liked about both programs was that licenses for multiple computers were included in the packages. Spy Doctor can be installed on up to 3 computers and System Care can be installed on up to 5 computers.

Bottom line: my puter is up and running like it came out of the box a couple of years ago. :)

HH

Julian...I think you'll like it. Will look for some feedback as to how it worked out for you.

Canadalad...I downloaded and used SuperAntispyware before I ended up going shopping. It did an "okay" job detecting stuff that got by McAfee, but I was still having probs until I used Spyware Doctor. It found the rootkits that were apparently causing me the most aggrevation. And the other program I mentioned really did restore the functioning much better than just using the windows restore software that is typically preloaded when you buy your puter.

It came up with about 45 adware etc and when I tried to zap them it asked me to pay for the program, $29.95 plus postage from the US.

I have nothing against the price but doubt that my bank would allow payment through the internet on this type of thing, I can't use Paypal for instance.

So I thought I'd look out for it on my next trip to Pantip if I could find a genuine version and deleted it.

As soon as I deleted it I got a "pop up" offering me a free version through Google that actually deleted the malware.

At that time I was distracted so I've left it on the backburner and will have another look tonight or tomorrow.

If you look at my last post in the tech forum you'll see I have ongoing problems with my laptop as well.

My daughter's PC was loaded up with virus & adware few days ago. The restore function or the anti-virus/adware program off the PC wouldn't work. I had to remove the PC's HD, put it in a external HD case, and scan with Avast from another PC. More than 1500 threats were found and deleted. After putting the HD back in the PC, I found that there were few threats that Avast didn't detect. So I ran Norton on it. Now the software seems to be OK, but the image on the monitor sometimes shrinks to about 2/3 the size for few seconds -- most likely the monitor and not a virus.

Archived