Free health care for all?

Flashermac

I will need a little help from our european friends (as well as Canadian) on here to verify what I've always heard and too lazy to research if its true.

American doctors make far more than their Canadian and european (although the range of euro doctors may vary somewhat) counterparts. I would also assume for nursing, especially top RNs and clinicians, anesthesiologists, etc.

If so, then part of the issue for national healthcare to work is for doctors and other medical industry workers to make less. They can still make a very good living. However, a surgeon making several hundred thousand dollars may not be the way to go.

We live in a capitalistic society and they are paid what the market rate is. Fair enough. However, as I stated in previous posts, I've read where the AMA (American Medical Association) primarily as well as other organizations 'arbitrarily' keep the number of doctors lower than what we could turn out so that the high salaries, etc. can be maintained.

The difficulty in becoming a doctor as well as entry into medical schools is explained by these organizations that its needed to maintain the highest quality of medical care in the world as they profess.

However, some of our own experiences in LOS, europe and other countries is that you can get pretty damn good medical care for less money paid. Also you can turn out good doctors and plenty of them without the strictness of the American system.

Which brings up another question. Can any one verify my statement above. Is it 'easier' to become a doctor in europe or asia. By 'easier' I mean in terms of entrance exams, difficulty in getting into domestic medical schools, etc. Maybe I have it wrong and someone can disprove what I wrote. Maybe its just as hard or harder to become a doctor in Belgium, Denmark, England or Spain?

I saw a program, can't remember where but it was a documentary on medical care and the German counterpart for an American doctor made far less. They made an upper middle class wage that afforded them a good standard of living and life but far less than their american counterparts.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In April, 2009 the rate for the COBRA insurance was supposed to be reduced by 65%...Now June and they haven't done jack shit!!!

All talk and no action!!!

Every month I call to inquire abd they have the same answer,,,we are working on it and will be ready next month...bullshit!!!

I remember a few years ago when a small town in Kentucky that couldn't attract a doctor got a Canuck MD to move there, offering a free house and other benefits. The AMA had a fit and finally got the Canuck sent back home, leaving the town without an MD again. Got to defend their turf, I suppose.

"Got to defend their turf, I suppose."

Yeah, at the expense of these town people and decent health care for our citizens. This sucks. And the insurance premiums are one of the many things driving up the astronomical cost of health care in America. Laws need to be made limiting damage and pay outs, and the insurance companies need to be reigned in to have more reasonable coverage costs for the doctors. Vicious cycle.

Our family doctor had to retire before he wanted to, simply because his insurance payments got ridiculously high when he hit his late 60s. He said that since the lawyers want to sue for everything, MDs have to have legal insurance to keep from getting wiped out.

The AMA has been against every progressive stance in health care. They were originally against, HMOs, Medicare, etc. for all the wrong reasons.

Is the medical insurance and fear of lawsuits a uniquely American one?

I have to assume the doctors at other western countries do not share the same problem. Is it because they have nationalized health care and part of the bargain is you can't file a lawsuit against the doctor or hospital?

Will medical malpractice insurance be a thing of the past with nationalized health care?

The AMAs main purpose is to keep doctor's wages high by limiting the supply (the number of doctors) in the nation. As much as I hate governmen bureauracracy I would propose stripping the AMA of its power by having the government have its own accreditation. The AMA can still do their thing but I would have the state universities with med schools recognize this new accreditation to increase the number of doctors. Also, allow more doctors to immigrate to the U.S. and accept the medical license from certain countries. Certainly all the western nations/first world nations and some of the rest. Their record would be checked of course if they have been suspended, etc. in the past.

Tort law reform. There have been some but true tort law reform free of influence from the AMA and the American Bar Association and the trial lobby.

Archived