advice needed

Dexi

Hi,Im thinking of buying a cheapish laptop computer that I can use to access the web for banking and other personal stuff that I dont want to do via the public internet shops while in LOS.I would like it to be able to play Thai vcds as well,and when I return to the UK to use it for net access.Is it worth buying one here in the LOS or waiting until I get back to the UK.As you can probably tell I am not a computor expert :smirk: How does the cost per minute compare with the internet shops (30 bt./hour ).

Not sure for the UK, but for me, buying a lap top in the USA is far, far better (and cheaper) then in Thailand. First off, warranty pretty much is nonexistent in Thailand. You buy it, you are stuck with it. Second, prices are highe.

In Germany, thy have the stores, Aldi, that sells a good lap top at a very fair price.

Maybe have the same in the UK?

I would never use public computers to do personal stuff on the net or whatever so buying my own is no question. Prices of hardware maybe higher and choices less than elsewhere but I really don't think that would put me off either as PC's are generally very cheap these days. I don't agree warranty is always an issue either if buying brand names, though service may not match elsewhere. I friend of mine had his HP PC replaced free of charge in Bangkok recently (within 7 days of buying it at least). As for net access, buying your own can more than match the net cafe rates, depending on what plan you buy.

Archived