what the heck is going on?

danno6

Ok, I am returning to thailand with my wife for 2 weeks, returning mid-march. I booked thai airways rt between new york and bangkok a few weeks ago. Around $1500 for premium economy. :)

Now we are talking to my sil about bringing the neice back with us for a couple of months since she has her school holiday. When I looked today, an economy ticket rt bangkok to new york was almost $3000 (87000 baht)! :banghead: Any ideas what is going on??

It could be because she is staying more than 30 days and she is staying until mid-May, which definately isn't the winter rate that you got. You could fly her Bangkok to LAX for around 33,500Baht on Eva airlines and buy a seperate ticket to NYC.

Danno,

To give you a few ideas about prices originating from BKK, try some of these sites:

www.pattayamail.com/massictravel/ ..updated weekly

www.travelconnecxion.com/

travel.thaivisa.com/promotions.html

www.12flight.com/

www.khaosanrd.com/en/travel-agent.htm

www.whichbudget.com

www.thailandtravelsearch.com/directory/Travel/Travel_Services/Travel_Agents/Bangkok/

:beer:

Now we are talking to my sil about bringing the neice back with us for a couple of months since she has her school holiday. When I looked today, an economy ticket rt bangkok to new york was almost $3000 (87000 baht)! :banghead: Any ideas what is going on??

Well, simply going the the TG website and plugging in the dates 15 Mar-15 May for BKK-JFK-BKK brings me a price of B65k, or about US$2k. :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

Now we are talking to my sil about bringing the niece back with us for a couple of months since she has her school holiday. When I looked today, an economy ticket rt bangkok to new york was almost $3000 (87000 baht)! Any ideas what is going on??

It's probably just simple Yield Management by TG. - Particularly seeing as its school holidays when you want to travel.

The airline will release seats priced at different fare levels - so you might have 10 seats sold at $1500, 15 sold at $1600 and so on and so forth.

Once the booking classes in the cheaper fares fill up, only more expensive seats remain.

I just put in the same dates as SuaDum and got the same price, so try online.

Also, beware that it is often far more expensive to by a ticket that is SOTO - i.e. Sold Outside, Ticketed Outside the country where travel is originating. I would be surprised if you got a cheap ticket from a BKK travel agent for travel originating in the USA. Unlikely, though you may get lucky.

Good luck.

MooNoi (Who just got offered a job with TG today and still doesn't know whether to take it or not! :doah:)

Oh yeah - sorry I read the original post back-to-front, and I can't edit now, so sorry to the OP for posting the wrong info. Late at night and a few red wines :doah: (Anyone like a glass??)

(I did wonder previously how SD got a price in baht for a NYC-BKK-NYC fare, but the USD amount I got was the same when I checked it out).

Anyway, I need a snack, so gonna go have a lovely bacon sandwich with lashings of ketchup! :grin:

Tuna Salad anyone?? :grinyes:

I know a couple of decent travel agents I have dealt with on a business basis in BKK before, so if the OP needs a hand, PT me and I'll pass on the info.

Archived