Berkeley Backs Off On Banning Marines

Flashermac

They may not have to choose. Technology could advance where one could drive a large vehicle and not use up much energy. Replacing metal with fiberglass and lighter material, as well as other things have increased overall gas mileage of cars and trucks. Given an incentive, I think technology will solve it.

When gas prices hit hard in '73, people drove smaller, Japanese cars instead of large American ones because there was an economic incentive.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The economic incentive for fuel efficient vehicles seems to me to be less than some people suppose. Even at US $3.00/gal. compared to less than $1/gal. back in the early 1980's. gas is still quite cheap compared to the total cost of owning a vehicle. Once you pay $25K for the hoopty, $1200/year or more for insurance, parking, maintenance, tolls, etc. those last few bucks at the gas pump don't mean so much to a lot of drivers. Why not go ahead and have a powerful engine, 4WD, and a robust safety cage?

Again, back ON topic, here is the famous zombie's page of photos on the Berkeley protest. The page is not completed yet. There eventually will be more photos posted along with zombie's patented droll commentary. Folks who like this sort of thing can go to zombie's homepage and scroll down the list of Bay Area political events that have been "zombified". Good stuff:

http://www.zombietime.com/berkeley_marines_2-12-2008/

Everyone in America doesn't drive SUVs, there will always be people who have the desire and money to buy SUVs, although the spike in oil prices a few years ago has affected the demand:

Sales figures for large SUVs:

April 2004: 71,040

April 2005: 59,914

April 2006: 47,363

April 2007: 59,297

Source: Edmunds.com

Under the plan, there are some that will still buy whatever but over time it will peter out. There are still some who still use VHS and not DVDs. :smirk:

SUV sales can stay the same and it wouldn't matter. If most people are buying the fuel cell cars, the emissions and oil required for those holdouts buying SUVS is inconsequential like people with coal heaters. America has more than enough oil for those SUVs and then some. The objective isn't to elimiate oil (although that would be nice) but reduce it where its no longer needed for the economy AND the Middle East is no longer needed.

Folks, I gotta say, zombie has outdone herself with the full report from the Berkeley protest. If you have any interest in what passes for direct political action in the famous "home of the Free Speech Movement" then this is your one-stop shop. I promise you that you will be underwhelmed, yet perhaps a tad amused as well. It's not much, but "this is what (decadent, bourgeoise) democracy looks like!"

Folks, I gotta say, zombie has outdone herself with the full report from the Berkeley protest. If you have any interest in what passes for direct political action in the famous "home of the Free Speech Movement" then this is your one-stop shop. I promise you that you will be underwhelmed, yet perhaps a tad amused as well. It's not much, but "this is what (decadent, bourgeoise) democracy looks like!"

Wow, that is impressive!

Archived