U.S. immigration-user friendly?

dean

Dean...good luck on the 10 year LPR. You shouldn't have any problems. It seems to be more of a formality than anything. Next is naturalization. Here we go again. More money, more forms, more interviews. At least we should be able to tell the USCIS adios sometime before Christmas. Never again to fool with those folks after 6 years of more money, more forms and more interviews. Damn!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think that there would be much of a problem with our application. I sent it on July 26 and yesterday received notification that the 3 children go in to the Homeland office near the K.C. airport on August 23 and my wife on September 3. I fully expect that the 10 year Green Cards to arrive before the old ones expire on October 18. Then, my wife can take our son to Thailand for 6 months (not thrilled about it but I do still have a house over there and the son can go to Thai pre-school to improve his language skills and they can both see my wife's mother and my wife's sisters). I do want my wife to promise that, once she returns to the U.S., she will concentrate on passing the test for Citizenship and pass it by March, 2012, so that two of the three children can become U.S. citizens by piggy backing on my wife's application. If anyone know the proceedures of becoming a U.S. citizen (through personal experiences), please let me know.

• 2 months later...

I just got e-mails from INS that the new, 10 year cards have been authorized and I should get them in the next 30 days. That would be just under 4 months from the time that I applied for my wife and 3 kids. I never thought that there would be any problems but its nice to get it over with and not have to worry about citizenship for about a year from now. Its too bad that my wife is leaving for Thailand next week for a couple of months. Even though the INS sent a letter to her that extends her original Green Card for a year, she is still going to want the new Green Card, so if I don't fly over to Thailand in January, I'll have to mail it.

I would NOT mail it. If by chance it got lost, imagine the shit to go through to get a replacement. She won't need the new one with the letter she has unless she is gonna stay past the expiration of the letter. If that is the case, it might actually be worth a trip for 2 reasons, to see the family after a year and to give the card in person so it doesn't get "lost"

While she might want to stay for a year, she is taking our 3 year old son with her, so that is out of the question (he will go to a thai pre-school and should have some thai speaking ability by the time he comes back to the U.S. April 25. For tax reasons, I want them in the U.S. at least 6 months out of the year. My problem with going there in January for a couple of weeks is; I get to take care of the 3 step children. While the oldest is almost 21 (the other 2 are 16 and 14) and could take care of the other two, she doesn't want to drive in the U.S. So, unless one of my brothers or sisters want to help out, I don't see how I could leave them here without any transportation. I have told her, in no uncertain terms, that she better get her driver's licence in the next 3 months. However, with my luck, there would be a major snow storm in Kansas City while I was gone and she would wreck my car (not to mention any possible injuries). If I go, it will be at the last minute.

I hope I'm as lucky as you were. I haven't mentioned to her yet that the Green Card has been approved and I may not and just let her take the letter that extends her Green Card with her. If I did mail it, it would be insured and my Fed Ex or UPS. Very early in my travels to LOS, I needed to send some money to a friend to purchase something. Rather than sending it by western union or moneygram, I sent her 2 twenty dollar bills inside of three folded pieces of paper. Needless to say, it never made it to my friend. I'd hate to lose the Green Card the same way.

I hope I'm as lucky as you were. I haven't mentioned to her yet that the Green Card has been approved and I may not and just let her take the letter that extends her Green Card with her. If I did mail it, it would be insured and my Fed Ex or UPS. Very early in my travels to LOS, I needed to send some money to a friend to purchase something. Rather than sending it by western union or moneygram, I sent her 2 twenty dollar bills inside of three folded pieces of paper. Needless to say, it never made it to my friend. I'd hate to lose the Green Card the same way.

Which is exactly why I said not to mail it. Just give her the letter and since you said she's not staying past the expiration of the letter, that's all she'll need. Present her with her resident card on her return and you'll be treated like a Ki.......I mean, treated with more sex than you can handle.

What was fun was my wife had the year letter also.

We went into Canada while her 2 year card was still valid. No problems.

Well coming back into the states She gives them her Thai passport and green card with the letter.

They are like,This letter is not real.

I'm polite and tell U.S. customs yes it is.

The counter guy is giving me all these funny looks and my wife is getting nervous.

I ask him for a supervisor please.

they take all the stuff and go into the back room.

Then come out and say welcome back..

Had more hassles coming back into the states than going into Canada.

Her new 10 year card, the expire date just shows the last 2 numbers and several times when we go into shipping ports they question her card if it is real or not.

Plus the damm TWIC cards we have to have..More money..

Archived