U.S. immigration-user friendly?

dean

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made several threads covering the topic, bringing my thai wife and her 3 kids to the U.S. with Permanent Residency visas (http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/528457/fromsearch/1/tp/0/all/1/ http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/526758/fromsearch/1/tp/0/all/1/ ) It will be easier if you have been married for several years or more (the kids won't hurt even though they aren't part of the process). Get your police certificate that says your wife have no criminal record as soon as possible, as this will save you time running back and forth from Bangkok to your wife's place of residency (if it isn't Bangkok). The officials at the embassy are sticklers for documents, particularly if your wife has ever been married before or changed her name. You have to provide the thai transcripts for each name change (and the english translation). They don't seem as strict in the financial requirements. If you live in Bangkok, even if they turn you down because you don't have the proper documentation, all you have to do is get it and turn it in at the embassy (the person that approves or rejects your application probably will not tell you why your application was denied and you have to ask the other employees at the embassy, probably the person that you deal with at the cashier's desk will be able to tell you). If you live considerably outside of Bangkok, it can be a pain to have to go back and forth several times to get the prober documentation. As you have no kids that need visas and if you have been married for some time, I don't see any problem in your wife getting a P.R. visa. Good luck!

I've already made a mistake in advising concerning the criminal record (or lack of one) by the thai police. Its issued in Bangkok, not in the national's home area. The problem, if you don't livein Bangkok, is that, by the time the embassy requests the document, you have to make a special trip to Bangkok, just for the document. Get it early in the visa process.

Maybe my luck (or my wife's) luck is changing. She leaves tomarrow at 8:00AM for Bangkok and got her 10 year Green Card in the mail today. Making and mailing the Green Card must be about the only thing that the government does quickly.

Archived