How many Baht can you...

Man at Work

Yep...no limit on the amount of Baht brought into Thailand. If you're taking Baht _out_ of Thailand there is a limit of 50,000-Bt.

But, don't bring any Baht in...unless you obtained the Baht you plan on bringing in at a better exchange rate than the current (higher) rate available within Thailand. Bring your local currency and exchange it for Baht while in Thailand. Your local currency will get _slightly_ less Baht when exchanged outside of Thailand.

Link

There is no limit on the amount of Thai currency which can be brought into Thailand, but only 50,000 baht may be taken out without obtaining a permit. When carrying Thai currency to neighboring countries, e.g., Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam, up to 500,000 baht, may be taken out without obtaining a permit.

Carrying out an amount of Thai currency which exceeds the above stated limit requires a permit from an authorized bank. The original permit (Thor-Tor. 5) must be shown to the Customs officer while passing through the outbound passenger channel.

Also most countries require you to declare large amounts of cash or cash equivalents (USA >$10K) on the customs form. Some dogs are trained to sniff out cash.

Just in case somebody is interested scientifically : a bundle of cash appears at the airport screen in light reddish colour , nothing that worries anybody . What you should take off is the piece of paper they wrap round the notes at the bank and can be identified as such on the screen . I have taken loads of cash in and out of Thailand in the past not knowing there are limits , nobody did ever take any notice . But it could go wrong at any time of course .

BuBi

true julian they do not have official limits to what you can take out but they are more and more pricky about "big amounts".

Went to another EU country last week and was stopped at barajas and asked if I carried an amount of money above 10K euros, I did not but another passenger had an amount above this limit....-> missed his flight.

(was meant to be on the same flight as me)

Maybe was he really a drug dealer or something like that????

Archived