No more Ms Nice Guy

Flashermac

Obama's Obama's Army equipment story may be true

Gen. George Casey, the Army's chief of staff, said Tuesday he has no reason to doubt Barack Obama's recent account by an Army captain that a rifle platoon in Afghanistan didn't have enough soldiers or weapons.

But he questioned the assertion that the shortages prevented the troops from doing their job...

The problem, as I saw it, was that Obama led his listeners to believe that he had a first person conversation with the "captain", when, as it turns out, Obama did not. He had received the info from a staffer who got the info from who-knows-where.

BTW, Obama vs. Billary tonight at 6 p.m. PST. Did anybody notice that in their last square-off that Obama was not nearly as polished as when he gives his "hope and change" stump oratories? He seemed to be grasping for index cards that would fit the topic. And like most of these politician debaters, ended up not answering the questions directly. Ho hum.

HH

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect Hillary to be on the attack. Its a last gasp effort. Obama would do wise to remain calm and play the victim. Hillary's lead in Texas has evaporated and its a dead heat but the momentum is with Obama so by next week, he should slow a slight lead or at least be the favorite in the vote.

I think she'll nick Ohio. She may not win by much but she's still got enough of a lead accounting for statistical imperfections.

She's gonna have to win decisively, and I don't think she can. She can still 'win' the debate but still not do enough to stop the bleeding.

At some point the media will take its turn on him, right now he's enjoying a good ride, but it may not happen till its too late for Hillary.

I'll try and keep the primary race to this thread so as not to anger the disinterested.

Well, we know where most of you guys on here lean but more importantly (hehehe) who do the celebs want?

Battle of the Celebrity Candidate Camps

So, 2008 is the year of the ultimate celebrito-politico pairing. You surely know by now that media mogul Oprah's been touring virtually arm-in-arm with Democratic hopeful Barack Obama. The Barockstar retinue includes such luminaries as Robert De Niro, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Tom Hanks, Scarlett Johansson (who made headlines coyly deflecting a question about her possible engagement to Ryan Reynolds with the claim that she is affianced to Mr. Obama), Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, Stevie Wonder and Susan Sarandon. Barockstar's landed the "Hottie-wood" contingent. Slightly less megawatt, but surely no less supportive, are Zach Braff, Bill Maher, Natalie Maines and, neither last nor least, the surviving members of the Grateful Dead.

Meanwhile, the other Democratic hopeful, Hillary Clinton, while reportedly downplaying her star support, is openly backed by such big (and slightly less big) names as Madonna, Jack Nicholson, Jon Bon Jovi, Renée Zellweger, Jerry Springer, Ted Danson, Quincy Jones, Chevy Chase, Danny DeVito, Michael Douglas, America Ferrera, Steven Spielberg, Alec Baldwin, Martha Stewart and Streisand -- what we might consider primarily a "classic Hollywood" crowd. I know you're rolling your eyes, but a roster including Douglas and Spielberg is about as classic Hollywood as we get when Mary-Kate and Ashley are considered established celebrities.

Republican John McCain's bid is celebrity-supported on the brawny backs of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone and Tom Selleck, along with Dick Van Patten, Rip Torn, Wilfred Brimley and "Saturday Night Live" producer Lorne Michaels.

Keith Richards-pardoner, erstwhile musician and current Republican Mike Huckabee has, in his corner, a Bad Ass Contingent all his own, including Chuck Norris, (and, one assumes, Chuck Norris' flying fists of fury), Ted Nugent and WWE's Ric Flair, aka "Nature Boy."

It appears that Ron Paul's somewhat subdued celebrity roster may be inspired by his own Libertarian, "less is more" leanings. His eclectic mix of backers includes Barry Manilow, John Mayer, Mark Cuban, Tucker Carlson and Donna D'Errico.

Billary was actually quite reserved in her debate with Obama last night on TV. As usual, candidates strayed from the questions, often preferring to stick with previous canned answers to questions while avoiding any attempt to nail them down. The moderators let these things slip by...dunno why? They seem to give the candidates celebrity status (ala OJ).

One thing that surprised me is that both candidates, while pushing for withdrawl from Iraq, did not really give an indication of how fast or if they had a timetable in mind. Obama, when he addressed a previous statement he made about bombing Pakistan, backtracked somewhat, but it was clear that he was attempting to fortify his position as one who would protect the security of the country. I suspect that he will face off against McCain in November and McCain kicks his butt on national security polls. Otherwise, latest polls indicate a dead heat right now between them. (Obama gets the substantial advantage in the polls when it comes to "hope and change", whatever that means.)

HH

I thought 'Billary' won the debate but not enough to make a difference to undecideds I think.

McCain will beat Obama on a host of things: experience, national security, defense, amongst them, but Obama has him on Iraq specifically. The economy will play a greater part in the national debate.

Obama polls well against McCain. What will hurt McCain is that the base of the Republican party, specifically the religious right and social conservatives as well as even some fiscal conservatives may not come out in numbers as they did in '04.

Also, Obama will eat into the independents, centrists and moderates that McCain lives on as well. Obama has energized the Dems so he may get more of the Democratic base out to the polls than McCain will with the Republican base.

Just my personal view but for me, national security is mostly about common sense and not making decisions on what will hurt you in your re-election campaign. Its too important of an issue to for policy to be swayed by politics. Politics has to enter into the equation to some extent, afterall, they are politicians but only to a small exetent.

Even the most knowledgeable candidate who runs for president doesn't make national security or foreign policy decisions in a vacumn. There are things the President is privy to than any member of the subcommittee or committees on defense, etc.

The important thing is getting ALL the facts and opinions and making a decision that makes sense logically.

...Civil rights leader John Lewis has dropped his support for Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid in favor of Barack Obama, according to a newspaper report Wednesday.

Lewis, a Democratic congressman from Atlanta, is the most prominent black leader to defect from Clinton's campaign in the face of near-majority black support for Obama in recent voting. He also is a superdelegate who gets a vote at this summer's national convention in Denver...

This is huge. Lewis and the Clintons go way back and are close, personal friends. The CBC and the 'black leadership' don't want to be seen as 'selling out' and not supporting 'their own' to the general black community nationwide. Some will have a lot of explaining to do to their constituents. As I said before, there is an '11th commandment' about supporting a black candidate. Republicans have their own 11th commandment as well which used to be 'thou shall never speak too ill of another Republican publicly' but that has been eased as well, with the rhetoric the far right has with McCain.

First time I've seen Obama take a statistical lead in Texas, even though its still within the margin for error and can go for either candidate. The polls in Texas a few days ago had Clinton with a slight lead by a couple percentage points. She's still slightly ahead in Ohio but if she loses Texas, its one more significant nail in the coffin.

Archived