24 hour number to report smoking violations: 02-590-3342

ghelseth

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a loudmouth Aussie come up to me while i was smoking in a bar a few nights ago. He was in his 40's with a nice little issan lady he had picked up from the plaza.

"did you smoking in bar's is illegal in Thailand now?"

he enquired

"yes, and did you know prostitution is also illegal in Thailand?" i retorted

that shut him up, cunt

Guest lazyphil

this is how holidays get ruined by ending up in hospital, i'm not suggesting you should cower in the corner or you cant handle your self but provoking unknown quantitys in a country with a non existant ambulence service and an unhelpful police force is imho pointless. if i were a smoker and had that comment i'd let it go, safer.

The way I lok at it is simple. There is a law in place. Many, if not most bars are in near compliance. The ones who are not are making it tough for those that are. If Soi Cowboy is in compliance(even Baccara), Nana Plaza should be forced to comply as well to be fair to the SC owners. The only major holdout keeping smoking in Nana is the Rainbow group, which is Thai owned. Why is it ok for them, and not for the other bars in Nana, as well as the Soi Cowboy bars that are smoke free? And why not report them? It might actually work.

I have been to each of the gogo areas after the ban went into effect. I hit roughly 10 bars each:

1. Cowboy completely smoke free. I will be spending a lot more time here in the future.

2. Patpong smoke everywhere, business as usual

3. Nana smoke everywhere, though some say there are bars that have gone smoke free though I have yet to notice them though I admit halfway into the night I gave up checking. If and when I do notice non smoking bars I will always in the future make a beeline for them and avoid the smokey ones.

So moral of the story is don't think a bar or area that allows smoking hurts another because it can work exactly the opposite! You lose one smoker here, but gain two non-smokers there.

Archived