24 hour number to report smoking violations: 02-590-3342

ghelseth

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because they already working those things for many years? While banning cars and motorbikes from public roads is unrealistic, things are being done. Thailand has tough vehicle emissions standards, dramatic limits on motorcycle engine displacement, uses natural gas to power taxis, and so on. Air quality in Bangkok has improved in the last 20 years despite explosive development.

Tell me about it, the reason I am in Seoul now is because I am part of the Project Managment Consultancy team for PTT's latest Gas Seperation Plant which is Scheduled to be online Feb 2010 providing 800,000 SCFPD for NGV Purposes. Later this year I will be working with SPRC (Star Petroleum Refining Company aka Caltex) on their new Clean Fuels Processing Plant in Rayong, ExxonMobil will be building a similar plant in Siracha but I am hands off that one.

Since I am doing so much towards controling emmissions in Thailand is it to much to ask to be able to have a ciggie with my beer after work in a designated smoking bar?

As I have stated on previous threads, I respect Non Smoking policies employed by various establishments, I am quite happy to go to "Non Smoking" venues and pop outside for a quick puff, my choice, but I would also like to have the choice to go to a venue where I am allowed to feed my nicotene addiction without being made to feel like a leper.

Non Smokers have their rights I agree, conversely so do smokers, I think Kh'Cent summed it up perfectly in his earlier postings.

While it personally benefits me to have a universe-wide no-smoking policy, my fundamental belief is that the fewer laws the better, ANYTHING that doesn't hurt another HUMAN should be allowed and that business owners should be allowed to make ANY GODDAMNED RULES THEY WANT! Keep out all blacks/whites/non-Asians/smokers/non-smokers/people over 30/people under thirty/people who "we just don't like your stinkin' face".

All of the above may be subject to change without notice, at my whim.

Mekong,

"Non Smokers have their rights I agree, conversely so do smokers, I think Kh'Cent summed it up perfectly in his earlier postings."

Just makes common sense and let's us all enjoy what we like while following a few simple rules to keep everyone hapy. Notice though, not one of these rabid anti-smokers has said a peep about what I wrote. Why? Because they are total nutters who want a total ban on smoking anywhere and everywhere, for their convenience, and fuck everyone else's rights to their owns desires and considerations. They are little nazis. They are of the type my father used to get pissed off at. He called them the 'Hooray for me, and fuck everyone else' brigade. They are the squeaky wheels that have agendas up the wazoo and too much time on their hands trying to enforce their little nazi rules on one and all (of course, not on stuff they would/might enjoy, like hookers in Bangkok).

Cent

I think smokers and non-smokers both have some valid points. I even agree with some of what you write. But let's cut through the crap for a moment. Smoking next to someone is like urinating on them. There is no difference. You have to think of it like that to understand what it is like being on the receiving end. And hey, there are laws against public urination and I don't see anyone complaining about this as being nazi, a violation of their freedom, or part of a wider conspiracy.

...who want a total ban on smoking anywhere and everywhere, for their convenience, and fuck everyone else's rights to their owns desires and considerations

You are wrong so let me make it clear: NO ONE IS ADVOCATING BANNING SMOKING. What the laws say is smoke your cigarettes, as many and as often as you want (and personally I think the sin tax on cigarettes is a crock but that's another thread). That is your right to smoke and no one has the right to take it away. Just do not force others to smoke your cigarettes. One man's freedom ends where another begins. Another analogy: you can drink any amount of alcohol you wish as long as you don't get behind the wheel where it may be potentially detrimental to others. The new laws are a step forward in that they give people the freedom not to smoke while maintaining the freedom for others to smoke.

OK, here's a response from a 'total nutter', quaint expression that. The bars have had years to provide separate areas for smokers. None ever did. When asked why, they said it would be too difficult. Instead, some bars actually started selling cigars to make matters even worse. They could have, in many cases, simply set aside an area in one part of the bar where there was a big smoke eater to suck up the smoke and told their employees to smoke outside. But they didn't. So much for common sense. This total nutter was perfectly happy to go into a restaurant that had a non-smoking section and rent a non-smoking hotel room. But the bars never made a similar attempt. Thai Airways, back in the eighties, had a great no smoking 'section': Every other row was designated non-smoking. At least they tried, Thai style,lol.

Tobacco 'conscripts' is pretty much descriptive of both the individual smokers problem as well as an army less than motivated by belief as compelled to be there. Hopefully Man at Work's army is all volunteer, and, for the stamina required by the fight, non-smoking as well. This really is way too much fun.

Tobacco 'conscripts' is pretty much descriptive of both the individual smokers problem as well as an army less than motivated by belief as compelled to be there. Hopefully Man at Work's army is all volunteer, and, for the stamina required by the fight, non-smoking as well. This really is way too much fun.

90% of the British and American army's smoked in wwii. They did pretty well as I recall......

Archived