24 hour number to report smoking violations: 02-590-3342

ghelseth

I once had asthma. It was chemically induced. I was exposed to shit I should not have been exposed to. Consequently, smoke bothered me along with a whole lot of other things such as perfume, new furniture, inside new car smell, etc. If some shit bothers you, just leave. If you walk into a bar, you can tell if people have been smoking there. Some believe you can get rid of smokers, but can you get rid of people who use cologne and/or perfume? Get rid of new cars because of the shit they are out gassing? Get rid of particle board products because of outgassing of formaldahyde?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If some shit bothers you, just leave. If you walk into a bar, you can tell if people have been smoking there.

That doesn't work. You sit down, order a beer, and seconds later a group of chain smokers sits down next to you occupying the last free seats. Even if there was another place to move, if you do that some smokers feel you are a real prude trying to show them up and go out of their way to blow smoke in your direction. It happens.

Some believe you can get rid of smokers, but can you get rid of people who use cologne and/or perfume?

Within a matter of seconds next to a smoker the smoke thoroughly permeates a person to the point they smell awful and they are stuck in that state until washing their clothes and showering. Cologne is not even in the same ball park unless people have a habit of splashing it on others sitting around them, but that wouldn't be tolerated too well would it? As someone else pointed out, it's a shame these laws are needed to apply what should have been a little common sense to smokers.

Get rid of new cars because of the shit they are out gassing? Get rid of particle board products because of outgassing of formaldahyde?

Of course practical measures are made on all sorts of pollution. Let's keep in mind the smoking laws do not ban smoking or smokers. What the law says is you have the right to smoke, but you do not have the right to make others smoke your cigarettes.

TC,

There is a certain idealism you seem to be overlooking. As I smoker I would like the choice of going to an establishment that is either smoking or non-smoking. I agree that public places such as transport, city halls, museums etc should be smoke free, I also agree with the fact that restuarants are smoke as well as the work place. These are all places where non smokers should be allowed to enjoy a smoke free enviroment. But for my tolerance do you not also concede the fact that smokers should also have the right to go to place where smoking is allowed?

My local bar in Pattya, the landlord a very good friend of mine actually questioned everyone of his staff as to whether they wanted to imposse the smoking ban and they choise they did not mind so he enforced the smoking ban in his dining area and still alows it in the bar area. My local bar in Bangkok the landlord who is also another good friend of mine asked his staff the same question, some minded some didn't and he choise to make downstairs smoke free and upstairs smoking.

Now I am not talking about poxy little corner bars here, each of them respectivley is probably is one of the Major expat bars in each city. As much as a non smoker should be affordered their rights to a smoke free enviorment please accept the fact that smokers also have the right to partake in our nasty little habit in a seggregated area of the bar over a beer or ten with our like minded buddies. Totalarism should not rule, market forces will dictate a business owners decision.

MAW,

I could also make the further comparision about "Smoking Bars" and "Non-Smoking Bars" In Thailand there are Many Gogo Bars, Gay Bars, Many Katoey bars etc, now a lot of people may not agree with P4P scene or homosexuality and as such choose not to visit such establishments. Choice, it does not mean they have to be all banned. What a joke Gay and Katoey bars can exist and anyone who complains is labelled a Homophobic yet somewhere I want a beer and a ciggarette where all the employee's choose to work there and do-gooders want to close down my places of pleasure.

Such Hypocrits, smoking related deaths may outnumber HIV/STD/AIDS 2.5:1 SOURCE but I am sure that the number of smokers to non smokers is a far higher ration!

What u r saying is basicly the same as I do. Let there be choice. The only difficulty I have in Holland is that the nonsmokers areas are situated next to the smoking areas without a proper divide. So the nonsmoking is still a smokers place. The sauna I often visit, I cannot go into the restaurant at all. When the door opens right next to the whirlpools, a thick smell of deep fried foods and cigarettes evades the space and really pissed me off as I go there for health reasons!!!

I like that, u r a smoker but u r willing to listen to the other side instead of degenerating to a namecalling 'discussion'.

Archived