24 hour number to report smoking violations: 02-590-3342

ghelseth

"

But do not despair, smokers. My short visit to Patpong this evening revealed that every gogo bar but one (Kings Castle One) allows smoking. Never mind that they all have "No-Smoking" signs posted. They all feel free to violate the law. The Lumpini police seem to have their priorities sufficiently screwed up to allow smoking, while cracking down on showing. So rejoice, smokers! You can go to Patpong, ogle mostly over-the-hill ladies in full bikinis while indulging in what is really important to you, sucking on your nicotine sticks, to the great annoyance of some of those around you."

Ahh.... the return to the old days begins :)

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 10 years, Iâ??m lucky I can come to the LOS one week a year.

During the last 5 years I follow this board to keep in touch whatâ??s happening in BKK or where to find places of action to be well prepared for when I return. I think thatâ??s the reason why most of us visit this board.

As an occupied businessman, I prefer to put my mind for one week on zero in BKK whilst most of my friends try to this by going skiing.

My day-schedule is very simple: wake up, have a good meal while itâ??s already 1 or 2 in the afternoon, play some pool, have another good meal in the evening, in the meanwhile drink a lot of black locks(Black Label on the Rocks), visit some bars to end with a very long walk on sukhumvit mostly till 5 oâ??clock in the morning and than go sleeping to my hotel,mostly alone because all the girls are already gone sleeping;

I really love doing this in Thailand because this is the only country where I really find me free tot do what I want do. Being polite to other falangs and especially to the Thai girls ,I feel myself very safe, more than any other country in the world

Being a smoker, Iâ??ll never smoke in restaurants and if Thai laws prohibit smoking in bars, Iâ??ll accept this. Iâ??m free to smoke on my long way home on sukhumvit.

But Iâ??m sure of one thing. People attacking other people on this board on smoking are surely the most hypocrite of all. They should stay in their country with their wife and kids and keep their mouths shut. The only people that can judge is the Thai people. No falang has the right to tell what I have to do.

But Iâ??m sure of one thing. People attacking other people on this board on smoking are surely the most hypocrite of all. They should stay in their country with their wife and kids and keep their mouths shut. The only people that can judge is the Thai people. No falang has the right to tell what I have to do.

Very good point. :yeahthat:

Here's one for you frede:

It seems that this is a movement whose time has come, because today the island nation of Niue has become the first country in the world to propose a complete smoking ban anywhere within its territory.

Could Thailand be next? Behold Niue

Bloody good idea. Its a filthy habit. They should only be allowed to smoke buds. Atleast there's a good reason for that.

",,,, a lot less smoking in the bars.""

Wait till the high season/impending coup/6 months to pass/smoking police to find another source of tea money, I mean if they were successful there'd be no more tea money would there?

The 20,000 and 2,000 baht fines smokers pay are tea money. Do you think they are going to give you a receipt? :):):):) Think again!

Not all of the 20,000 baht fine is tea money. I hear one half of it goes to the farang informant that keeps calling the police to tell the police were to go to get the easy money. Some say the inforamnt even lights the cigarettes of farangs hoping they will get caught.

Where is karma when you need it?

"Being a smoker, Iâ??ll never smoke in restaurants and if Thai laws prohibit smoking in bars, Iâ??ll accept this. Iâ??m free to smoke on my long way home on sukhumvit."

bmwk75, thanks for your considerate attitude, only too rare among smokers. Indeed you are free to smoke outdoors, on Sukhumvit or anywhere else where non-smokers are not forced to inhale your smoke.

To update, my visit to Nana Plaza this evening, enjoying the smoke-free atmosphere in five bars, even including former Japanese smokers' haven, Rainbow 2, convinced me that the Plaza is in full compliance with this Thai law.

So it seems that only decrepit old Patpong, in the Bang Rak police district (thanks for your correction, Pom Michael) is allowing smokers to break the law. This situation is fine with me. I have even more reason to avoid Patpong, while being able to breathe freely among the hordes of lovely girls in Nana and Cowboy bars.

You're very selective with your gratitude aren't you?

I mean you laud bmwk75 for his considerate attitude but conveniently ignore the fact that he said, "But Iâ??m sure of one thing. People attacking other people on this board on smoking are surely the most hypocrite of all. They should stay in their country with their wife and kids and keep their mouths shut. The only people that can judge is the Thai people. No falang has the right to tell what I have to do."

He is clearly referring to you and your sidekick Gelseth and that other creature, what's his name, Bun.......something.

Archived