24 hour number to report smoking violations: 02-590-3342

ghelseth

Back in the early-mid 90's when working on Sizewell B NPS I rented an cottage in Aldeburgh which is approx 20 miles from Southwold and well in Adnams country.

Broadside was my favourite tipple but every December for one month only there was Adnams "Tally Ho" which was marketted as "Having a kick like a draymans horse" believe me it did, that beer was only to be imbibed when no work the next day and thick curtains well drawn in the bedroom!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

i've been to southwold a few times, i'm sure they still use shire horses to transport the kegs around??.....ah, tally ho. i know what you mean, its got a kick!

Last time I was there circa 94 they still used the shire horses and drays within Southwold itself as well as Reydon and Walberswick the two closest villages anywhere further (Dunwich to the south etc) they used trucks.

A few pints of Tally Ho at the Cross Keys then stagger next door to Alderburgh Fish n Chip Shop for a Fish supper, happy memories!

Guest lazyphil

aha!!!....gotya here, its not all bad back here :) (granted alot here has gone to shit :( )....southwold is a blessed little town. lets hope it never gets chaved out.

Phil,

I'll admit it I had a great time in Suffolk, Aldeburgh, Minsemere, Southwold, Orford Ness, The Benjamin Britten festival at Snape Maltings weekends on the Norfolk Broads, etc but even the closest city Ipswich was becoming Chav back then.

Here in Thailand I enjoy travelling a couple of hours south to the quiet coastal villages in Pranburi province because the laid back friendly attitude reminds me somewhat of dim and distant memories of how the UK used to be.

[color:blue]And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green

And was the holy lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills

And was Jerusalem builded here

Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow of burning gold

Bring me my arrows of desire

Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold

Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land

'Til we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land[/color]

adnams broadside, thats a pint :)

Kronenburg 1664,NOW THAT IS A VERY GOOD PINT!

Mind you I did have a pint of Flowers Saturday afternoon which is about as far as my Bitter drinking goes nowadays.

As for "Real Ale"?I'd stop drinking altogether if this warm,flat horrible muck was all that was available. :barf:

Nothing wrong with "modern" Bitters though eg Worthington creamflow,Caffrey's etc.

Anyway back on topic,why is it that down my local pub here in the UK,a lot of the non-smokers,the same very people who drank a toast the day the anti smoking laws came in,insist on spending so much time hanging around the smoking area talking with people? :confused:

Archived